Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why are singers so difficult ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 886
    edited November 2016
    If someone said alright now in a different key  I would just think the singer needed a different key. Probably put a capo on and chill out

Edit noticed someone mentioned capo. Doh

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2016
    Our drummer sings well. I sing badly but can get by. But neither of us can play as well and sing.

@skipped great list. 

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/86097/music-by-my-band-white-noise-orchestra?new=1

Ok so that's our rough demos. If anyone knows a singer leicester way. We want to do some covers. 13th floor elevators, count to five,I am the walrus, tame impala etc

• Our singer is awesome and not a dick. He's also a guitarist but he's head and shoulders better than 90% of the singer for bands we play with. Our bass player is also pretty decent too. As a metal band that makes us pretty unusual.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    edited November 2016
    @PolarityMan yes mate very lucky indeed.

Like Clutch for example,all of them seem cool as can be. Just lucky I guess 

• Im not in clutch sadly
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    signing singers are worse
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

What happens if they want to take it down instead of up?  Let's say they want to do it in F.  You couldn't tune down that far, but it would sound exceedingly weedy with a capo on the 8th fret.
  • you could wing a version on the spot in F with different fingering that would get the message across, then work on the full version for next time - you got the job

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15976
    ..tae chew
    tae be or not tae be
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8494
    edited December 2016
    As guitarists we can mask our insecurities behind various psychological shit - buy an awesome amp that sounds glorious, use loads of effects, pick a style that suits your talent level and claim you're authentic... whatever it takes. I've been guilty of all of those in the past and some of them in the present.

As a vocalist when the moment of truth arrives there's just you and a mic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3592
    If someone said alright now in a different key  I would just think the singer needed a different key. Probably put a capo on and chill out

OK the key is G#/Ab so your capo makes it sound like pinky and perky. Or you actually have a really competent guitarist (who just might mutter under his breath).

• Or just tune the guitar down slightly.

• cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    edited December 2016
    Our singer/bassist has a tremendously strong voice and is generally very good but we do Summer of 69 in B because that's the key he can manage and the drummer likes to overplay it.   Doesn't sound right without the open strings imho
  • ICBM said:
    Same with Anthony Keidis. Bad singer, often worse lyrics - but some charisma, and the results are usually OK to good. Even though John Frusciante can also vary wildly between genius and Eh? sometimes. But at their best, the Chili Peppers are great... and at their worst, successful.

Yep, as the biggest fan of the chillis on this forum, I can agree with the keidis bit. 

But sit on the naughty step for suggesting that fru is anything but genius. :) 

Whenever Chad, flea and frusciante jammed it felt like the band doing what they do best. 

John frusciante has a pretty excellent singing voice. 

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7293
    edited December 2016
    If your playing the kind of stuff that you can just transpose the chords and get away with it then it's not a band I'd be auditioning for.

im all about the riffs.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom