Stripping the finish off a neck

I've got an Aria Pro II that's been in bits for a few years that was originally finished in an awful clownburst. 

I've stripped the body back to bare wood but was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for stripping the neck?

I don't really fancy sanding it as I may change the shape and it takes bloody ages.

Wood paint stripper work if I masked off the board?

For reference it started out like this

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16794

paint stripper probably won't work on that.

I tend to scrape most of the finish off the neck and finish up with sanding....  quicker than just sanding and no heat needed!

cabinet scraper  or a razor blade used as a scraper will do it fairly quickly

• WezV said:

I tend to scrape most of the finish off the neck and finish up with sanding....  quicker than just sanding and no heat needed!

ooh that sounds really dangerous, I'd be worried about taking chunks out of the neck wood!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16794
    WezV said:

ooh that sounds really dangerous, I'd be worried about taking chunks out of the neck wood!
    nah - is dead easy and less likely to reshape the neck than sanding through a thick hard finish.  Just remember you are scraping the finish, not the wood at this stage.  Stop when you get down to the wood
  • will give it a go
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7081
    tFB Trader
    The most dangerous bit is that shards of finish will fly off so wear some eye protection.