LP Kit Build

What's Hot

Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5532
    Great recovery on the top!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1681
    edited November 2016
    Yes the clear lacquer has really made the colour stand out on the top, it looks great!
    It was from you actually @SteveRobinson ;! I had best part of a can left over from my "Vintage V100 > George Harrison Lucy" conversion.
    In fact, here's the KitBuilt next to Lucy - note the size difference.

The KitBuilt is also slightly shallower in the body than Lucy.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7045
    tFB Trader
    DannyP said:
    Yes the clear lacquer has really made the colour stand out on the top, it looks great!
    It was from you actually @SteveRobinson ;! I had best part of a can left over from my "Vintage V100 > George Harrison Lucy" conversion.
    I thought it was :)
  • Great job, no messing about, straight in there!

• I built one of those, too - here's my review of it.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72043/kitbuiltguitars-lp-mahogany-with-maple-top-kit#latest

I don't mind the fact that it's a bit shorter than the real thing.

If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    I built one of those, too - here's my review of it.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72043/kitbuiltguitars-lp-mahogany-with-maple-top-kit#latest

I don't mind the fact that it's a bit shorter than the real thing.

Thanks @TheOtherDennis ;I toyed with the idea of natural back and sides. If I'd consulted your pictures I'd have gone for it - bloody lovely!

Yeah I don't mind it being shorter, but for the Bigsby issue. I'm sure the KitBuilt will be a lot lighter than Lucy even with all the hardware. Lucy's a heavy old bird, bless 'er!
  • Thanks. :) I think yours is pretty nice, too, but yes I can see your issue with the Bigsby, I should have spotted you'd already said that.

And it is quite light, really.

BTW, if you're after some not very expensive but quite good pick ups, the Iron Gears aren't bad at all. I've got a pair of Rolling Mills in mine, and with the 'vintage' wiring from Charles Guitars they sound pretty good, actually.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    Yeah, I'm still debating which Iron Gears to plump for, though Blues Engines may fit the bill?

My LP-style references are more Stones, Zeppelin, Beano, Peter Green, Mick Ronson than anything particularly modern or high-gain.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    That looks superb!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

edited December 2016
    So, things to do while the lacquer hardens.....

Well, owing to the smaller body, the Bigsby (or Chinese knock-off vibrato system©) will hang off the end of the body by about 8mm. I decided to make a little block from a timber offcut to fit under the strap pin plate of the Chigsby so it's all nice and flush.

Stained and lacquered it to roughly match the body

edited December 2016

...and looking at the Chigsby©, that black area with no logo looks a bit dull...

I bought an Aum keyring off eBay, snipped off the ring, filed it down to size and glued it on to create a bit of interest.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Great thread! Nice work.

Keen to see how this develops from here. :)
    andyp said:
    Great thread! Nice work.

Keen to see how this develops from here.
    You join us at an uneventful juncture @andyp ! I'm twiddling my thumbs while the lacquer hardens.

Having said that, I'm not too happy with the front face of the headstock, having sprayed it with cheap black gloss. Maybe I should veneer over it. Hmmm.......
    Well, I've just got off the phone to Oil City, and ordered a pair of Forces Sweethearts. Probably too good by half for this guitar, but I love the Stone Tones in my strat, so I have great expectations!
    I can't really afford them - financially at least, I should have gone for the Irongear Blues Engines - but I'd just rather live in a world where businesses like Oil City can thrive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyP said:

I can't really afford them - financially at least, I should have gone for the Irongear Blues Engines - but I'd just rather live in a world where businesses like Oil City can thrive.
    Excellent attitude sir.

And that guitar looks really good - the stain on the top isn't too dark IMO.
    Ah, what's this?
    Thanks @TheGuitarWeasel !

I left the lacquer to harden for a few weeks and sanded today with wet 1000 grit, followed by 2000.

I managed to remove the orange peel of the lacquer, and some areas are really quite flat, but there seems to be quite a bit of pitting due to grain sinkage.

Shall I give it a few more clear coat layers at this stage, put it aside again then repeat the fine sanding?

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Can't offer any advice as regards the thickness of the gloss, but I can offer my congratulations at a truly lovely colour. That's shaping up to be really nice indeed.