Trying a new martial art tonight

Iaido, or the way of the sword.

Or considering my amazing abilities, the way of falling over while nearly decapitating myself and anyone nearby with the wooden training sword while the instructor cries in the corner.

Whatever happens I'm going to try to enjoy it.  And hopefully not decapitate anyone.  Accidentally. 
PSN id : snakey33stoo
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7437
    I've seen that - amazing stuff. 
    Believe you start off with a weighted wooden one.

If it's not aggressive enough for you try Kendo! :-) 

Red ones are better. 
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5419
    edited November 2016
    Awesome! 
    I've always fancied trying sword stuff! I've done knives, sticks, guns and staffs whilst learning Krav and Kapap but somehow have never done sword work. 
    There's a club locally that teaches mediaeval swordsmanship, but they seem to spend more time comparing notes on the accuracy of the buttons on their doublet than whacking each other.  ;)
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24369
    I did 1 lesson in that about 25 years ago!

I was visiting a mate and I was able to join in as I had done other arts for a long time.

I wished there was a club near me. It was great fun. And wooden sword feels damn heavy by the end too!
  • Just back, and yes, the wooden sword felt very heavy.

Got a new shopping list of kit to buy too.

The guys who took the class were really good.  I was knelt opposite as one of them demonstrated the first kata and a guy coming at you with a sword is quite a scary experience!
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • A mate's father-in-law is a big cheese in the iai/kendo world. Roald Knutsen. He teaches "traditional" kendo round the corner from me. Another mate is a student of his and apparently he's a million years old and is falling to bits but he still claims to be able to beat any of his students. I bet that's bullshit though - he also says he'd stand a good chance after he's dead.

• PSN id : snakey33stoo