Series/Parallel wiring

Hi guys

I have been using an old Selmer T&B amp which has an 8 and 16 ohm out which makes life easy.  However, I have just acquired an old '72 Marshall PA 20 which doesn't have an ohms selector on the back.  There is a choice of 4,8 or 16 ohms tabs which are hard wired but.....this means you can't mix and match.  The amp is currently set up for 8 ohms.

Question....I have a pair of early 70s G12Ms that are both 8 ohms.  Clearly parallel would half that and series would double it.  Is it possible to series/parallel wire a 2x12 cab and if so what is the resultant ohmage using two 8 ohm drivers?

I guess I could wire the G12Ms to 16 ohms and then re-wire my other 2x12 to 16 ohms and change the ohmage inside the amp. 

Also, is there a difference between the amount of volume when wiring to 8 or 16 ohms?  This amp is not loud needless to say so if changing the amp to 16 ohms would give me a bit more volume that might be the best way to go.

Cheers

Guy
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28312
    With two drivers you can only wire them in series or in parallel, so with two nominally 8-ohm drivers you can only get 4 ohms or 16 ohms, nothing else.

With more than two (usually four) you can do series/parallel wiring, and then with four drivers you can get 8 ohms overall (either two series pairs in parallel or two parallel pairs in series). Or all in parallel for 2 ohms, or all in series for 32 ohms. There are other potential arrangements but none are sensible.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 133
    Thanks Sporky, at least I know what my options are.  I reckon I'll just hook it up to the 16 ohm tab in the amp and re-wire the cabs, makes the most sense.

Sporky said:
    With two drivers you can only wire them in series or in parallel, so with two nominally 8-ohm drivers you can only get 4 ohms or 16 ohms, nothing else.

With more than two (usually four) you can do series/parallel wiring, and then with four drivers you can get 8 ohms overall (either two series pairs in parallel or two parallel pairs in series). Or all in parallel for 2 ohms, or all in series for 32 ohms. There are other potential arrangements but none are sensible.