Fender FM 100H amplifier head with FM 412 speaker cabinet

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3611
Whats a good price for this lot guys? One has come up locally and I'm thinking maybe buying it then trading it for something smaller. I take it this lot would be much too loud for home use?
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72675
    No. It has volume controls.

:)

They are not worth very much though - the Frontman 100 combo is only worth about £150 second hand, and if anything a head and cab is probably less desirable since very few people want a Fender stack. I'd be surprised if you could sell it for much more than about £200.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3611
    I can buy this one for around 80 quid, but I suppose passing it on might be a bit of a problem.
    robgilmo said:
    I can buy this one for around 80 quid, but I suppose passing it on might be a bit of a problem.
    I'd still have it for that - if it's in full working order. There's a known fault with the amp where a couple of resistors overheat and desolder themselves - you won't find out at low volume, but when the speakers start to vibrate the amp it will crackle loudly. It's an easy fix for someone who knows what it is, and if done right it won't happen again.

The head would be useful as a backup amp, it's loud and light, and apart from that problem they're reliable.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I might be throwing my money away on it because I would never be able to use it, it even looks loud! I have the chance to buy a VOX Cambridge 30 for a little less but I know nothing about them either so I'm a little apprehensive.
    robgilmo said:
    I might be throwing my money away on it because I would never be able to use it, it even looks loud! I have the chance to buy a VOX Cambridge 30 for a little less but I know nothing about them either so I'm a little apprehensive.
    Buy that instead. They're a nice little amp, and very controllable for home use - nothing at all like an AC30 in terms of volume.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    As ICBM says, the Cambridge would certainly be better as a home amp.
    I had one when they first came out and it's quite a nice little amp.
    Thanks guys, Cambridge it is. Is there anything I should look at in particular?  I know a component fails on the tremolo and people did like to mod them to get more output out of them. The thing is I wont be picking it up, its at the other end of the country, my brother in law will be picking it up and he's a guitarist anyway so I fully trust his judgement.
    At this stage just make sure it's all working, including the tremolo. After you get it you can see if there's anything you want 'more of' from it.

No I don't want to mod it, id rather one that wasn't messed around with. The problem on the tremolo seems an easy fix if it is broken so shouldn't be an issue anyway. I've read that the problem doesn't show up until the amp has been run for a half hour or so, looks like I'll just have to buy it and find out. Whats the reverb like on them? Ive read that the pathfinders reverb was pretty weak, is it the same for the Cambridge?