First crack at mic-ing an amp...

What's Hot
AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 221
edited December 2016 in Studio & Recording
Hi all,

Recently had my first crack at recording using a mic-ed amp. Have always used modelling software in the past. 
What are you thoughts on the guitar sound?

Using a single sm57 into a simple focusrite interface. Amp is a Victory V40. Zilla cab with a 1 x 12.

Cheers,
Andy
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Sounds like a recorded guitar, Andy! Was it what YOU wanted to capture? If so, job done. It doesn't sound 'badly recorded'.

I never get the recorded sounds I want out of modellers or sims, so credit to you for bothering to go the extra step. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    Sounds good to me!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 221
    Sounds like a recorded guitar, Andy! Was it what YOU wanted to capture? If so, job done. It doesn't sound 'badly recorded'.

I never get the recorded sounds I want out of modellers or sims, so credit to you for bothering to go the extra step. 

Cheers!

I wanted to simplify things and spend less time tweaking sounds at a computer.   So thought I'd give the mic a shot.  

I honestly think I got it done quicker with a mic.   

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    So, how'd you position it on the speaker and how did the recorded tone compare to the sound in the room?
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 963
    Sounds good to me. Out of interest, what kind of volume was the amp?

I know that's subjective so I guess I'm asking was it, ok for in the house volume, ok occasionally in the house but would piss the neighbours off after a while volume, rehearsal volume or full chat?

If that's first attempt though I'd like to hear more when you get the hang of it :)
    edited December 2016
    Cirrus said:
    So, how'd you position it on the speaker and how did the recorded tone compare to the sound in the room?
    A single SM57 placed on bottom right of the cone, almost touching, and off axis. 

As for sound in the room, that's where I simplified things (cheated).  I recorded the guitar dry then added some reverb in the DAW via an aux track.  Figured could get whichever room sound I wanted this way.  Also added the same reverb to the snare.
    edited December 2016
    relic245 said:
    Sounds good to me. Out of interest, what kind of volume was the amp?

I know that's subjective so I guess I'm asking was it, ok for in the house volume, ok occasionally in the house but would piss the neighbours off after a while volume, rehearsal volume or full chat?

If that's first attempt though I'd like to hear more when you get the hang of it
    Cheers buddy, thanks for the compliment.

It's a Victory V40 which I set to 7 watts.    As for volume it's not as loud as a rehearsal room volume but slightly louder than home practice.

The thing that really helped me get a decent sound at a lower volume was a compressor. I used a Wampler Ego Mini set with a low blend and subtle compression settings to reduce the dynamic range a little.  This allows me to dig in without taking the roof off the house.

Gonna get more recordings done for sure!
    edited December 2016
    Have re-recorded the bass and rhy guitars. A little tighter now.
    Will have another shot at the lead guitar over the weekend, it's a little safe.