Dupuytren's Disease

What's Hot
Anyone else got this slow progressing disease in their hands and have any experience they can relay? I'm in the early stages so it shouldn't impact my playing a lot in the short term.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Dupuytrens-contracture/Pages/Introduction.aspx
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15976

Oh,Just awful Bro...hope it don't get to bad for you

all the best

John

tae be or not tae be
  • I figure I will adopt a more Django style in years to come 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited December 2016
    Anyone else got this slow progressing disease in their hands and have any experience they can relay? I'm in the early stages so it shouldn't impact my playing a lot in the short term.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Dupuytrens-contracture/Pages/Introduction.aspx
    Seen loads of it cos I used to work in a hand unit.  And had a drummer with it too and cos I was sure it was Dupuytren's (whereas he thought it was from working too hard on a UK Subs tour!) got him to GP then to a hand surgeon I know.
    Bit of a spectrum of impairment, all the way from mild to severe.
    FWIW needle fasciotomy in the early stages is my 2p's worth for optimal treatment [from a rehab POV; 'tis the surgeon's call though].
    Seen the z plasty that sometimes has to be done but even that, when done by a hand surgeon, can have excellent outcomes.
    And "slowly progressing" is the take home.  For a lot of people they'll have the treatment and they'll be about 150 years old before they'll need another procedure. 
    If it were me, all other things being equal, I'd be looking to referral to a hand surgeon for opinions and any work which may need doing.
    My drummer was fine btw.  Still is.  Well, his hand is.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't have any experience but  I hope it doesn't get in the way of guitar playing or anything else :)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have it in my right hand. Had one nodule removed index finger four years ago.  Just about needs doing again. I also have a palmar tendon affected that is to be injected. I dont think I would like to have it in my fretting hand. 
    Grunfeld is right slowly progressing but get a consult early as the new injections are great apparently

PS its associated with foot problems - fine but some people get penile contractures! keep that finger crossed
  • I have it in my right hand. Had one nodule removed index finger four years ago.  Just about needs doing again. I also have a palmar tendon affected that is to be injected. I dont think I would like to have it in my fretting hand. 
    Grunfeld is right slowly progressing but get a consult early as the new injections are great apparently

PS its associated with foot problems - fine but some people get penile contractures! keep that finger crossed
    Both hands unfortunately and I think my left foot.
    the other bit hasn't gone Clinton yet.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    My dad has something like that, it may be the same thing. He had an op on one hand to help, but he didn't think it was much of an improvement so he didn't bother with the other hand. Came on for him early 80s, he's 89 now.
  • I found lump in almost the middle of my left hand when I was about 26, later diagnosed as dupuytrens. Playing guitar is my job, and after I looked it up on the internet I properly freaked out!  Got the lump taken out by an orthopaedic surgeon with a z plasty on the scar to minimise it coming back.  I've had no problems with the hand post surgery.
    14 years later, it hasn't progressed. Supposedly it's a generic thing? More common in Scandinavia?
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4704
    Fucking Vikings.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    edited December 2016
    yeah - got it - both hands - ring fingers ??? wtf, early stages yet
    Major heart attack did in 1/3 heart capacity, Muscular Dystrophy - no energy or power, got a walking stick now cause I keep tripping, my legs just work - this is bad mainly because I CANT fall - got osteoporosis, bone thinning - they'd just snap.
    So dupuytrens is way down my list of concerns - all in all I've never felt better and hope to play a (very hipster) open mic on Sunday.

Part of my optimism re - the state I'm in is when I go to see my consultants and look around, my heart sinks. All ages obviously in a worse state than myself - I'm nearly seventy and had a great life, but when a teenage girl collapses in front of u in the cardiac ward  cause her heart just stopped momentarily it helps u see more clearly.

guitarmangler
    14 years later, it hasn't progressed. Supposedly it's a generic thing? More common in Scandinavia?
    good news GM, yeah my daughter informed me bout the Scandi thing - and heres me thinking I was a Gael. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom