Dude sticks a 50 euro SS amp into a Marshall cab with Vintage 30, cranks it = tonal enlightenment?

What's Hot
mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826

A great illustration of the importance of speaker & volume in combination ahead of all other factors.

Makes me think that the reason the Kemper is the only emulation that floats my boat is chiefly down to the way it measures speaker response.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3054
    edited December 2016
    Been there, done that. Great little amps those Marshalls. I have a Reverb 12 - it does indeed sound immense through a 4x12 cab.

EDIT: Oh, this is an Epiphone amp. I've seen a different vid with a Marshall amp...this one:

R.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2912
    That guy always has awesome tone and an envious collection of amps!
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31675
    So you take it out of its small box and it doesn't sound small and boxy anymore?

Who knew. ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    Years ago I had a Marshall MS-2 - the little half-watt plastic toy amp - which I fitted with an extension speaker jack, and ran it through a 4x12". It was not only impressively loud, it sounded great. Well, at least good…

Those 12w 3005 heads are fantastic - same as the Lead 12 combo. The build quality is astonishing for a 12W practice amp, just look at the size of the power transistors! I should really have kept the full stack I had, although it wasn't red.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    TTBZ said:
    That guy always has awesome tone and an envious collection of amps!
    Most of the stuff he demos is actually borrowed. He does get to play through some great amps though cranked to the volumes they were designed to be played at.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    Been there, done that. Great little amps those Marshalls. I have a Reverb 12 - it does indeed sound immense through a 4x12 cab.

EDIT: Oh, this is an Epiphone amp. I've seen a different vid with a Marshall amp...this one:

R.
    That one sounds even better, less brittle.  The Epi would be better for garage rock.
  • I've had a similar experience with my little Orange Micro Terror. I've heard many say they sound rubbish. But given the beans through my 2x12 V30 cab it sounds fantastic. 

• slackerslacker Frets: 2254

I think the guy's name is Jonas Seaborn or something Swedish. He does a lot of Marshall comparison videos. He's also does some speaker shootouts where he just repeats the riff to show how the speaker contributes.

Respect and I hope he carries on making the vids.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4993

@Grumpyrocker you should try the little Orange MT through an Orange 4 * 12 cab. It even made me sound passably OK and the smile lasted all day.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1134
    edited December 2016
    they sound OK on their own at loud home volumes, but try playing one with a full band for an hour and you'll soon get sick of it.
    It's like driving a Fiat 500 - they are great around town and for short journeys, but try doing a 6 hour journey to Cornwall in one and you'll wish it was a Mercedes

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11640
    edited December 2016 tFB Trader
    mixolyd said:

R.
    That one sounds even better, less brittle.  The Epi would be better for garage rock.
    Thats just my cup of tea!

And speaking of which

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12683
    They sound great recorded - in fact, I've had better results recording these than valve Marshalls for getting 'that' sound. I really ought to find another one...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3054
    edited December 2016
    I have a Reverb 12, if you're interested, @impmann ;?

R.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    I don't think it sounds that great- it is very fizzy.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9891
    edited December 2016
    I don't like that kind of tone from either a valve or solid state amp so I'm probably biased but I thought it sounded quite fatiguing to be honest, it might be the YouTube quality but also it sounded very undynamic.

There is also the argument that if you have to add a £100 cab to a £50 amp you could just buy a £150 combo that would sound better
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31675
    There is also the argument that if you have to add a £100 cab to a £50 amp you could just buy a £150 combo that would sound better
    Maybe, but it's also a useful reminder for those of us who have a variety of amps and cabs lying around that mixing things up a little can be rewarding and fun.

I occasionally do the opposite to small amp/big cab in the studio, putting a big amp via an attenuator into an old pre-war 8" radio extension speaker I found on eBay for a tenner.

Sometimes it just sits in a mix better than anything else. I'd have to radically EQ a 4x12 to do a similar job on a track, and realistically how often do any of us experiment with really stupid desk EQ settings?