Small profile Delay with Tap Tempo / dotted 8ths

What's Hot
ash96ash96 Frets: 61
Right, I'm making a mini pedalboard for pub gigs / travelling, so looking for a smaller delay pedal (currently have a Strymon Timeline) to go on it. Only really need a general delay tone for solo's, and also the ability to get a dotted 8th note delay sound (with tap tempo) fairly easily (for the intro of 'shut up and dance' mainly).

Any suggestions? Well out of the loop (no pun intended) with a lot of the single delay pedals.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Nemesis! 
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Boss DD7 (and maybe others) will accept an external tap switch. Digitech Obscura offers tap tempo although it's cumbersome to execute. The smallest pedal I found with a dedicated tap switch was the Alexander History Lesson.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11470
    edited December 2016
    I had a Boss DD6 (not a great pedal) where you could get the footswitch into tap tempo mode by holding it down for 2 seconds.  I assume the DD7 has similar functionality.  The problem was that you couldn't switch the pedal on and off while the foot switch was in tap tempo mode so it was impossible to use live.

Anything with a single footswitch will be a struggle to use live.  Realistically you are likely to need something with 2 footswitches, which will be bigger, or with an external tap tempo switch.

The Line 6 M5 might be worth a go.  It's not the smallest footprint but because it has a tuner on it, you can lose the tuner from your board to compensate. I used it as my main delay for a while after my Nova Delay died until I got my Timeline.  I actually preferred it as a delay to the Nova Delay.
  • HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 337
    edited December 2016
    Chrono Delay. Sorry did not see the Shut Up & Dance bit, probably need something with modulation for that.
  • ash96ash96 Frets: 61
    Also forgot to mention, price wise I'm looking as cheap as possible. I've got a strymon timeline on my main board, so just trying to build a cheap board for pub gigs where drunk people may attack!

It doesn't have to be dedicated tap tempo, I know some pedals like the old Line 6 Echo park (i think) allowed you to hold the pedal down to activate Tap Tempo. bit of a ball ache, but not too much of a bad compromise i suppose.
  • I don't know of any off the top of my head that will give you a small profile, decent integrated tap tempo, and also the subdivisions you're after.

Maybe one of those Zoom MS pedals?
  • Oh, or maybe the Mooer double pedal delay? It's not exactly small, but probably the smallest double-pedal digital delay out there.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 616
    edited December 2016
    The Zoom MS series would do that. You have to hold the single switch down for a couple of seconds to activate tap tempo though. They have loads of other stuff built in too so would be ideal for a small,  cheap pub-proof board. I've got an MS50g I'd be willing to sell - PM me if it's of interest. 
  • I'm STILL waiting for this to be released: http://www.stonedeaffx.com/syncopy

Theres always the Chase Bliss Tonal Recall, if you're happy to spend a wedge on it
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Cheap as possible is the Marshall delay. But you need add a dedicated footswitch. 
  • ash96ash96 Frets: 61
    Branshen said:
    Cheap as possible is the Marshall delay. But you need add a dedicated footswitch. 
    Does that do dotted 8ths too?
  • ash96 said:
    Branshen said:
    Does that do dotted 8ths too?
    I don't think so; I gigged with one for ages.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Ah sorry. Off the top of my head. Dotted 8ths single pedal format is the dd7. Note that it will do dotted 8ths only in digital delay mode. 
  • If you're handy with a soldering iron and can drill a hole you could mount an external footswitch in the top of a DD-7, just the momentary switch itself, easy and works :)
  • I'd suggest the TC Electronic Flashback mini. Tiny footprint, unique tap tempo feature, cheap-ish and the toneprint editor will get you pretty much any delay you need. All in all a great mini gigging delay
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Diamond Memory Lane jr. Wish I still had mine 
  • LevLev Frets: 228
    Line 6 echo park has the best implementation of tap tempo in a single pedal IMHO. Tap lightly for tempo, heavy stomp to activate the pedal. It also does dotted eights and has a really nice modulation dial that can be added to any of the delay types. They are discontinued but can be found second hand for not too much money.