New amp year - 2017 - second hand TSL head or Blackstar series 1 100w head?

What's Hot
nickpnickp Frets: 183
which?

or neither

to do and play everything from jazz, through ska, blues and of course rawk - but probably not metal
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17673
    tFB Trader
    I would go Blackstar, but then I really hate TSLs 
  • I'd go elsewhere personally
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • What is the budget?

I don't find the EL34 S1s very warm sounding, they tend to sound dark and tight which is either something you'll love or not (mostly concerned about blues here, it'll do the other tones).  I liked mine but kind of wished it had more low end available.  The cleans were good and the drive tones are pretty decent.  Given it is a 100 watt amp there is enough low end, but it isn't an especially warm/deep sounding one compared to other 100 watt amps.

My first thought was actually multi-watt Dual Rec.  Either the Reborn or a Roadster/Road King (other models might not get you the cleans you want).  Don't write them off as purely metal amps, the cleans are good and they can get excellent warm drive tones for blues and rock.
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    What is the budget?

I don't find the EL34 S1s very warm sounding, they tend to sound dark and tight which is either something you'll love or not (mostly concerned about blues here, it'll do the other tones).  I liked mine but kind of wished it had more low end available.  The cleans were good and the drive tones are pretty decent.  Given it is a 100 watt amp there is enough low end, but it isn't an especially warm/deep sounding one compared to other 100 watt amps.

My first thought was actually multi-watt Dual Rec.  Either the Reborn or a Roadster/Road King (other models might not get you the cleans you want).  Don't write them off as purely metal amps, the cleans are good and they can get excellent warm drive tones for blues and rock.

budget about £400 ish (ie less than £500)
    Paul Gilbert does alright with his :)
    tFB Trader
    nickp said:
    Paul Gilbert does alright with his :)

I don't think he uses TSLs does he?

For years he was Laney and then more recently he has used Vintage Moderns and DSLs, but I don't think I've seen him use TSLs. 

What amp Paul Gilbert uses is largely irrelevant though as he would make just about anything sound good. 

One of the Studios I used to practice at had a variety of Marshall heads 800 900 and 2000 TSLs and everyone was pretty much unanimous that the TSLs were by far the shittest sounding. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72670
    Buy the TSL if you want the thrill of guessing if it will catch fire at any given time, or break down in a less spectacular way. Or maybe work.

I'm not a fan of the Blackstar either particularly, but they are at least fairly reliable - although the pots on the earlier ones are crap. (Later changed.)

For the range of sounds you've listed I'd probably get some sort of Mesa, but other amps are available...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775

I like the Blackstar's had a Series One 50 for years and it covers a lot of ground and sounds great, the JVM's sound a lot better than the TSL's IMO, but still prefer the S1

Of course the right answer is 'buy a Helix' :)

• HHwarnerHHwarner Frets: 137
    Dont get the TSL, out of the 2 Series One would be the one to get. Iv had both, there is no comparison
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    (noob alert) - why are the TSLs so hated? Before I get flamed it's a serious question. 
    tFB Trader
    rico said:
    (noob alert) - why are the TSLs so hated? Before I get flamed it's a serious question. 
    Unreliable and sound bad.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Something from the Jet City range new, or a s/h Laney GH100r would be my choice before I got to a Blackstar or TSL.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72670
    rico said:
    Because they're extremely unreliable due to major design flaws that can't be completely fixed. Some of these require replacement of the entire main PCB, because it arcs and burns. You can buy the board from Marshall but it isn't cheap. Even after that there are other problems.

I have the remains of one here - I bought it off a friend for the scrap parts value because he didn't want to pay the huge bill to have it repaired, and I don't want to fix it even though I could, because then I would have to guarantee it to the next owner, and I can't. No loss - I'll need the transformers and other parts to repair other ones sooner or later.

They also don't really sound that good when they're working - thin and buzzy. The TSL100 isn't great, but the TSL60 is worse - although it doesn't have quite such serious reliability issues, if anything it sounds even weaker than the 100.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• dindude said:
    Something from the Jet City range new, or a s/h Laney GH100r would be my choice before I got to a Blackstar or TSL.

I remember a few years back when gh100ls were £400. Absolute monsters. 
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    rico said:
    But other than that?

• jpfamps said:
    rico said:
    But other than that?

According to the daily mail, they're responsible for the huge strain on amp repair people across the nation, forcing Carr, vox and even blackstar amps to wait in line, often for months. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ok ok, I get the message :)
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Thanks - i'll remember to swerve them.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    dindude said:

I'd say Jet City too if the OP was looking for a rock amp, but the Series One's are very versatile and IMO sound great.  As I type I'm starting to miss mine :)
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1761

Another vote for Jet City here too.

You'll get a much better sound than a JCM2000 and save a ton of cash.

It also will not catch fire - which is the only thing the JCM2000 range did well !