Orange Micro Dark, EHX Magnum 44 - thoughts for a small rig?

What's Hot
gwEmgwEm Frets: 10
edited December 2016 in Amps
Hi all, this is my first real post here, though I have introduced myself in the thread for that.

I'm in the market for a small head. I'd like to get something very light and portable, reliable and capable of doing a show in a small pub or cafe (edit: without micing up). I'm looking at modern solid state due to small size and light weight.

My general sound is NWOBHM-ish.

I like how the Micro Dark has sounded in demos I've heard, and prefer its sound to the normal Micro Terror.

Since I have a lot of SansAmp and SansAmp-type gear I could also just get a power amp, so I was looking at the Magnum 44.

What do people think about these things, or is there any other alternatives on these lines? I know it won't sound as good as my all valve gear, but would love to hear your thoughts.

Points I'm especially interested to here about:

* I realise that on here the Magnum 44 doesn't have the best reputation for reliability. However, there haven't been too many reports of failures for a while it seems.

* Which is actually louder? I know the Orange is 20w and the Magnum is 44w, but theres alot more to loudness than these numbers, and they are manufacturer specified anyway. The Peavey Piranha is supposed to be 20w, but is apparently alot less loud than the Orange micro series or I'd consider that too.

Thanks alot,
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• nick79nick79 Frets: 260
    I've had a quick play with a Micro Dark through a 4x12 cab, and i don't think it would be loud enough on its own to gig with, especially if your drummer is heavy handed. I found that when the volume gets about half way it doesn't really get any louder it just compresses more. 

I really wanted to like it but to be honest i was a bit underwhelmed. Only really seemed to do one thing but i'm not often impressed with amps so i'm probably just a fussy bugger :)

Only other alternative i can think of off  the top of my head is a Laney irt15h or Studio. Awesome metal tones, nice clean (a bit sterile but still nice) and pretty small and light. And definitely loud enough to gig with. 
  • gwEmgwEm Frets: 10
    Thanks for the response Nick. I have a mini-Rectifier and it's still relatively heavy, so wanted to get away from valve gear.

My drummer is definitely not heavy handed. Though I once tried to use a Marshall Lead 12 in such a situation, and it wasn't really loud enough. Nearly, but not enough headroom to really punch out.
    No worries mate. Funnily enough i'm considering a Mini Rectifier at the mo as my combo amp is bloody heavy and i'm developing arthritis in my right elbow. I could carry it with my left hand but it doesn't feel right... Mind if i ask how you find the Rectifier? I'm mostly rock/metal, with a strong emphasis on metal.

Regarding the Micro Dark, do give one a try if you can, it could be right up your street, and they definitely are tiny. We've got some in at work and i take great delight in demoing them through big cabs. 
    edited December 2016
    I'm very happy with the mini-rectifier. The main competition for that, at least how I see it, is the 6505mh.

I wasn't able to try the Peavey and I liked the sound of the mini-rec I tried. The main advantage of the Peavey would be the cost.

The mini-rec really has four main sounds in it - clean, pushed, vintage and modern. And I like three of them a lot. The clean is very sparkly and hifi, and the pushed is very good for blues with a modern edge to it. Modern is what I use most of the time for the music I play and it definitely has the classic rectifier sound. I don't really like the vintage setting, I suppose it's meant to sound Marshally, but then I'd rather use my Marshall(!). I can dial in a nicer rock sound on the modern setting I think.
    Thanks for that mate, i'm giving serious thought to getting one. Last question (and sorry for the thread hijack..) Whats the clean headroom like? Enough for pretty clean cleans over a loud drummer? 
    The clean headroom is good, but you have to remember it's a 25w EL84 amp. The power section does start to breakup on that sort of sound. It still sounds good, but to answer directly I would say 'no' to your question.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2936
    What about one of the old Marshall Valvestate heads? They're not very small, but they're light and sound brilliant for what you want.

I've got an 8100, which has got more gain on the OD channel than you'll ever need. Nice3 crunch and useable cleans too. The VS100 is similar in sound and weight.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    One of your sansamp type things in to a Magnum - I used a AMT SS-11A in to a Magnum for ages, louder than you would ever need, sounded great and never had any issues with reliability.  Also used the AMT in to the FX return of a JCA 22H which did sound marginally better but obviously it's a lot less portable
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom