Gibson Firebird V-joints

What's Hot
SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7032
If I were to make a Firebird, what's the best way of cutting the V-shaped joints for the centre section and wings? I could make a jig and use a 45° bit but it would have to be very accurate.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16689
    I didn't bother when I did mine.  A million people have asked me to do another, only one mentioned the lack of the proper join.
    edited December 2016
    I don't suppose it was the most helpful response.  I can think of a few ways to do it, but like you I have concerns about accuracy.  That's why I think it's better to go with a standard butt join, with biscuits or dowels to ensure everything ends up in the right place

and the wings are tapered.... thinner at the edge then where they join the centre.  That makes an authentic replica a step too far for me... but most never notice either of those features
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7032
    tFB Trader
    Thanks @WezV, I will probably do butt joints but no biscuits. I'll make an assembly jig to line the sections up parallel to each other.

I wasn't planning on tapering the wings either as it's too much effort. It's going to be scaled down anyway as it's for my 5yo granddaughter.

Your lacquer will be with you tomorrow, thanks for the order. I've added a second clear gloss in case you need it. :)
    oh thank you, I have been trying to decide on colour for a week or two - finally pulled the trigger on a whim at lunch - must start a thread about that.  

here is my firebird with but jointed non-tapered body wings.  I don't think it suffers for it
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    That's a lovely bit of wood and a great job of course. Mine is going to be made from Meranti as it's quite light and will be painted a girly metallic colour. I'm loath to paint it pink which is her favourite colour and I might go for lilac instead by way of a compromise.
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    WezV said:
    oh thank you, I have been trying to decide on colour for a week or two - finally pulled the trigger on a whim at lunch - must start a thread about that.  

here is my firebird with but jointed non-tapered body wings.  I don't think it suffers for it
    Handsome looking beast.

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    That's a lovely bit of wood and a great job of course. Mine is going to be made from Meranti as it's quite light and will be painted a girly metallic colour. I'm loath to paint it pink which is her favourite colour and I might go for lilac instead by way of a compromise.
    Sadly, I have to accept my 5 year old daughter loves pink a lot more than purple.  I made her a violet coloured mini guitar and her name is Violet.... but no, everything must be pink :)

i actually think a shell pink firebird would look fairly awesome 
    tFB Trader
    I've actually got some metallic pink I made for someone's Paisley Telecaster that might look quite fetching. The pickguard might have to be sparkly gold. All the hardware is gold plated as will be the strings (got given them, never used)!
    tFB Trader
    @WezV had a thought last night that tongue and groove might work? Or even two grooves with a bridging strip. Maybe I'm over-analysing and butt joints will be fine. Certainly easier to execute.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Burgundy mist metallic? That should be girly enough, but a classic colour.
    @WezV had a thought last night that tongue and groove might work? Or even two grooves with a bridging strip. Maybe I'm over-analysing and butt joints will be fine. Certainly easier to execute.
    It would work.  I think I would still just go with butt joints.  

I suspect Gibson only went with the V joins as a reliable way to align them each time.  If just doing one it's easier to put the effort into aligning them when gluing up
    tFB Trader
    mart said:
    Or Heather Mist Poly in Gibson parlance :)
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    mart said:
    Or Heather Mist Poly in Gibson parlance :)
    You learn something new everyday. I'm much more familiar with Fender colours than Gibson, so thanks for enlightening me.
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2351
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    It would work.  I think I would still just go with butt joints.  

I suspect Gibson only went with the V joins as a reliable way to align them each time.  If just doing one it's easier to put the effort into aligning them when gluing up
    I only ever use, but joints now, with biscuits, to make sure there's no slippage when the clamps go on. Have tried the "V" joint, the guy in the workshop next to me had a spindle router with a matched pair of "V" joint cutters. To be honest with you it was a real pain in the arse, the first problem was glue coming up on to the wings and trying to wipe it clean almost impossible. The second problem was when it come to spraying the overhang from the centre block cause all sorts of problems with paint collecting underneath. I think I only done two bodies like this gave it up as a bad job and went to butt joint in.
     By the way , if you haven't started the body already, I'm almost certain I have a part built body made from Alder in the workshop somewhere ( (I think it was going to be a Firebird Tele or Jazzmaster Firebird), I'm not in the workshop till Tuesday , but if you're interested I will photograph it and put it up on the site. There might even be a neck to go with it, I'll let you know.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2351
    tFB Trader
    The Firebird body I have is made from Alder but a lone way off being finished, it is all glued up but not routed. The neck is finished apart from the holes for the tuners. The headstock is standard Firebird that takes the banjo type tuners.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

tFB Trader
    Thanks Graham, but this is going to be a 3/4 size, child friendly Firebird. My granddaughter is only five and would struggle with a full size one :)