So when does age become detrimental to playing

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• For me at 55, I've pretty much learnt most rock songs in about 37 years of playing but can I bloody remember any of them...nope. As time has gone on, I think my ability has improved and since jacking in playing over 10 years ago I've enjoyed trying to get more acurate reditions of my fave players BUT, if I don't play a particular piece for a week or so, it's like going back to the start again finding where I played it on the neck!!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11917
    most  players I  enjoy are over 40, and I don't mean what they recorded in their youth
    personally, I think my current playing is way better than in my 20s
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    My current playing is awful against when I was 15. I justify it and say I'm more refined now with better feel. Truth is my weak bends catch all sorts of notes, some that give a different modal flavour, not necessarily what I'm aiming for. My speed is only sounding anywhere near right is by each finger tripping over each other and fretting new and wonderful notes in the E minor scale. You know, the notes that ain't in it.....

Saying that, I spent 3 months this year absolutely despising ever setting eyes on playing guitar and wanted to flog everything. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7806
    edited December 2016
    It depends a bit on what age you learn and how good you get to too... I'm clearly not as good as I was in my 20's, but that's more to do with time available.