Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Washing the car

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4983
When I got my first car in 1977, every weekend it got a wash.  I was working as an industrial electrician at the time and the locations of work were usually dirty and dusty places.  The car ended up filthy by the weekend so washing it was necessary.

Fast forward a few years and service stations got in on the act.  Firstly it was machines then people washing the car - using lots of foam [detergent?].  The price kept going up and now it is around €10 for a basic wash and allowing another €5 tip for the washing guy, keeping a car nice and clean ended up an expensive business.

Today for the first time in 30 odd years I washed our car.  Did most of the things the service station washers do and used a garden hose to rinse down the car.  Turned out very well and only took slightly over ½ hour.  Which is quicker than driving to a service station, joining the queue and getting the car washed.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    edited December 2016
    I enjoy washing the car on a nice morning, once I get started I find it very relaxing. And I can be fairly certain there's no grit and dirt in the mit to scratch the paint, unlike the ones used at road side hand washes. 

I've tried all sorts of car shampoo over the years. I have settled on this. Spendy but easily the best one in my view. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've had my car since 2011, and I have washed it twice. It only really needed it one of those times.

If I washed my car I would have to wash my mountain bike before I put it on the roof rack, and it would spiral out of control into a vortex of cleaning stuff.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    I wash the cars and bikes- I generally do one a week.
    I find it quite therapeutic.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540

I wash the cars when I can no longer read the number plate....

Beyond that, it's a chore that I have little time for.

Adam

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    I do mine once a week, Snow foam with the power washer is fun :)
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3052
    I used to do it once a month and it would always look brilliant after. Now I don't have any where to wash it myself so I have to go to a car wash which I do on average, once a month.

The blokes do an ok job but they always miss something because they rush just a bit too much, going to far as to completely miss my number plate and bottoms of the doors :(

I would like to get my Mondeo detailed (clay bar, wax, polish etc), which I may do in the spring but is going to cost around £60 to have that done.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12372
    I do ours about once a month. Pressure washer, followed by basic wash & wax stuff then rinsed and dried off with microfibre cloths. It gets a thorough going over with Collinite polish once a year, actually makes it easier to wash the crap off and keeps a decent gloss on the paintwork. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72366
    I should probably do mine, it's absolutely filthy and I always think it tends to make people less careful about not hitting it in car parks etc if they think it's just a tatty old heap.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    Car washing???? what a pointless waste of energy, money and precious time. It's a bit like polishing the tin that your food came in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    I'm using Cherry candy fragrance snowfoam shampoo at the moment, smells bloody lovely afterwards lol =)
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    If it gets a wash, I do it. But it's six years old and had two washes in that time. 

I couldn't pay someone else to do it though. It just doesn't bother me enough. And I have a shite car! 

The bloke who ran our local car wash has just been done for people trafficking and human slavery. Obviously a nice fella. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7788

The last time I washed a car (or had one washed) was about 5 cars ago, and then my kids did most of it.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    Paul_C said:

The last time I washed a car (or had one washed) was about 5 cars ago, and then my kids did most of it.
    That's the correct solution. Mine have decided they would like to be paid to do it tomorrow :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• slackerslacker Frets: 2240
    5 cars ago at least for me and probably the 2 before that. I think the last one I washed or had washed was the company car that had to be clean when it went back in 95. 
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7788
    ICBM said:
    Paul_C said:

That's the correct solution. Mine have decided they would like to be paid to do it tomorrow :).
    I have thought about it a couple of times, mostly because of the green stuff (moss/mould?) growing on it ;)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • nick_snick_s Frets: 138
    A quick wash for me is easily half a day :D  Pre-wash, 2bm wash, cab roof cleaned, wheels cleaned, tyres scrubbed, glass polished, paintwork glazed, wax applied, interior vacuumed, leather cleaned...I could go on but it could end up taking over the forum :D
    - Shine On You Crazy Diamond -
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2556
    I wash and polish my motorbike regularly. My car? It gets a £2.99 wash at the Esso twice a year. 
  • HoofHoof Frets: 491
    Sainsbury's Auto Wash about once a month and hand car wash/valet/wax every six months. Can't stand a dirty car, even if it's just an old Focus.
  • You're meant to wash them?
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

You're meant to wash them?
    With the amount of crap on the roads around me at the moment it's getting to the point where you can't read the number plates properly and the lights are noticeably less bright than they should be. You can actually get done for that...