Algarve vs Andalucía?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    octatonic said:
    Is there anyone here who is an expert in southern Portugal/southern Spain?

Never been to the Algarve, been to Malaga a few times- we are looking for a winter sun place and want to get the right area.
    easy answer, especially for an Aussie (I'm guessing you prefer warmth)

in August,  Algarve is 28C in the day, 18C at night,  I was quite cold  in the evenings
    in the winter, it's not much warmer than the UK
    It's on the Atlantic, and a lot of Brits like it because it gets cool in the evenings in the summer (I assume)
    Andalucia is properly hot, and the only place in western Europe  with wintersun

If you want genuine winter sun,
    I'd say Cyprus, Lanzarote, Tenerife, in that order
    Cheers for the info.
    Can't do an island as we need to be able to get the ferry overnight or ride down from Calais.
    I don't need it super hot, just not 2 degrees and getting dark at 3pm.
    Would like to be ear some nice biking roads though.
    btw I've been through the logic of "what would I do with the year if I was retired and  the kids were adults" before, and you have my conclusions above

Trouble is they are still at school, and I can't afford to retire yet

btw I'd rent for year 1
    We thought we'd rent for a season to 6 months.
    We know it will be great in summer- but want to see what it is like over the winter months.
    also: bear in mind service charges if you are not renting out
    especially with apartments

For Islands, Tenerife and Cyprus are massive btw, both have hot bits and cold bits, and both excellent for motorbikes
    Yes, service charges are foremost in our mind.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    I vacation every year in the Algarve.

I strongly recommend Tavira, nearer the Spanish border. The water is hotter, there are less people, the city is still unspoiled (roman bridges and buildings scattered around), the food is amazing (the fish...), the wine even better and the prices are reasonable.

____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    Or you could come to Madeira, voted the best island destination in 2016. Easyjet flies here from Gatwick, as well as BA. I'll buy you a pint (or two):

http://www.visitmadeira.pt/en-gb/homepage?AreaId=16

____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Just thinking some more

If you really want to go to the Costa Del Sol, or that area, have a look at the Costa Tropical. It starts just next to Nerja, and runs East/North for a bit. It is very much more Spanish, still warm, and much cheaper. We had a break in Almunecar, which was OK. A bit gritty, but some nice parts, has some lively big squares and plenty of places to eat and drink. Big beach too. Further up the coast you have the white pueblo hill town of Salobrena, which is not far from the beach, but pretty.  There are quite a few more places that could be OK, and as I said, a lot cheaper to buy cos its off the british tourist trail, and is more one for the Spanish.

The area is accessible from either Malaga or Granada airports.

I'd still pick Denia over all of them though. 4 hours drive to Madrid as well, which is nice to have as an option for a few nights when you are there, if you fancy it. Madrid is cheap too. Good for a weekend.
    exocet said:
    Snap said:

Algarve I know very well.

Tavira and the area is nice, and the Islha De Tavira is the best beach in the Algarve, with the warmest water. Its massive, and easy to find a quiet isolated spot. YOu need to cross the water to get it, via a couple of minutes ferry, water taxi, your own boat, or the train track further down from Tavira. The other good part of the Algarve is the far west. Lagos (busy but nice), Bergau - lovely (think Cornish village with heat) and round there, all very good.

Don't mention Burgau, I purposefully didn't - you're supposed to keep it a secret ;) . I've been going there since 1996, I love the place. it's not for everyone - not particularly lively and is a little grubby but if you fall for its charms you'll be hooked forever. Superbok for 2Euro a pint at Ruis Cafe is always a winner too.
    I didn't think it was grubby! Its just a "real" place. I liked walking down the streets and seeing little old fellas cooking fresh fish on a stove outside their doors, stuff like that. The beach is great, pretty, and the cafes are very mellow. its just a nice relaxing place.

I don't like Luz though - soulless and drab. Just a load of dull apartments and loudmouthed Brits with kids called Ollie and Josh. and Noah.

I lke Lagos as well. Even though its big and busy, it has a lot of history to it, and still retains character. The main squares are throbbing, but you can quickly get into atmospheric side streets and find quieter bars if you want. Love the city walls, and the beaches are something else. We have been a few times, and have stayed right in the heart of the city as well as on the outside.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Valencia does not have the best laws for buying property sadly. Almuñecar is nice and near Granada city, which is a cool place. Andaluz people can be a bit gobby but it's all bark. Basques are the only hard people in Spain. 
    Evilmags said:
    Valencia does not have the best laws for buying property sadly.
    yes true, but it doesn't seem to stop the endless amount of new development and agents selling stuff to Brits around javea. Its a fair point though Mags, you'd be daft not to spend on using a reputable agent/lawyer to make sure you are fully informed re the purchase process and tax/ownership implications/risk etc
    Snap said:
    Evilmags said:
    Valencia does not have the best laws for buying property sadly.
    yes true, but it doesn't seem to stop the endless amount of new development and agents selling stuff to Brits around javea. Its a fair point though Mags, you'd be daft not to spend on using a reputable agent/lawyer to make sure you are fully informed re the purchase process and tax/ownership implications/risk etc
    Still a lot of property reclassification investigations happening. They tend to end with repossession, loss of house and ocasionally a local pol in the nick. Never use the lawyer and notary they suggest to you. 
    Marbella can also have these issues. 
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    edited December 2016
    Snap said:
    exocet said:
    Snap said:

Algarve I know very well.

Tavira and the area is nice, and the Islha De Tavira is the best beach in the Algarve, with the warmest water. Its massive, and easy to find a quiet isolated spot. YOu need to cross the water to get it, via a couple of minutes ferry, water taxi, your own boat, or the train track further down from Tavira. The other good part of the Algarve is the far west. Lagos (busy but nice), Bergau - lovely (think Cornish village with heat) and round there, all very good.

Don't mention Burgau, I purposefully didn't - you're supposed to keep it a secret . I've been going there since 1996, I love the place. it's not for everyone - not particularly lively and is a little grubby but if you fall for its charms you'll be hooked forever. Superbok for 2Euro a pint at Ruis Cafe is always a winner too.
    I didn't think it was grubby! Its just a "real" place. I liked walking down the streets and seeing little old fellas cooking fresh fish on a stove outside their doors, stuff like that. The beach is great, pretty, and the cafes are very mellow. its just a nice relaxing place.

I don't like Luz though - soulless and drab. Just a load of dull apartments and loudmouthed Brits with kids called Ollie and Josh. and Noah.

I lke Lagos as well. Even though its big and busy, it has a lot of history to it, and still retains character. The main squares are throbbing, but you can quickly get into atmospheric side streets and find quieter bars if you want. Love the city walls, and the beaches are something else. We have been a few times, and have stayed right in the heart of the city as well as on the outside.
    It does have a lovely beach.

http://i.imgur.com/bxTFIyO.jpg