Any Marshal 18w TMB users

What's Hot
Si_Si_ Frets: 384
Just wondering if anyone is using a Marshall 18w TMB clone (Or a 1974x). I'm looking for a small giggle amp that takes pedals well and have been offered a Ceriatone one in a trade.

Any first hand experiences appreciated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• What pedals? I've used an ampmaker 18w tmb which is similar. 

If you're thinking big muffs, you'd be better with something with a stronger power section I reckon. 

If you're thinking boosts, overdrives and mods then it is better than blackface fenders but not as nice as larger jtm 45 style amps, again, in my opinion. 

But they're pretty good sounding amps - I borrowed an ampmaker tmb for a while and it's a great sounding thing for rock. They have a slightly loose sound. I found it far better at higher volume with boosts and overdrives rather than distortion pedals, but for lower volume it does take marshally voiced pedals well. 

Basically not a pedal platform - for that, I think solid state and big Marshall amps are better, for getting the amp + more sort of sounds, it's nice. 

A word of warning, they are loud but they made bigger amps for a reason. I found it to be weak when it came to a loud drummer - not bad, but I'd have liked a bit more. Ultimately, the one I borrowed is still gigged regularly in a blues context, which is probably its strong point. This one had a greenback in btw. 

I hope that helps - I'd wait for others to chime in, too, as my experience was from a couple of rehearsals and seeing it at a gig, and borrow for a week for home practice. 
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    edited December 2016
    Cool thanks. I don't need it for totally clean, I need a decent crunch/Stones type of sound and a few pedals to boost that and give it higher gain for 70/80s rock.. My board currently consists of a TS9, original Mk1 Guv'nor and a EP boost so hopefully they will work well with it.. 

I've already got a Friedman PT20 and 50w Plex for when I have a cab, but wanted a nice 1x12 to use for times when I don't want to take the Cab. The one I'm looking at has an ET-65 speaker, but I have a spare V30 I could use if it works better.  
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7498
    edited December 2016
    Si_ said:
    Cool thanks. I don't need it for totally clean, I need a decent crunch/Stones type of sound and a few pedals to boost that and give it higher gain for 70/80s rock.. My board currently consists of a TS9, original Mk1 Guv'nor and a EP boost so hopefully they will work well with it.. 

I've already got a Friedman PT20 and 50w Plex for when I have a cab, but wanted a nice 1x12 to use for times when I don't want to take the Cab. The one I'm looking at has an ET-65 speaker, but I have a spare V30 I could use if it works better.  

They will work fine I reckon - I used an sd1 and it got 70s rock. I tried my go to overdrive (df-2 with gain quite low) and it was awful - it just doesn't have the headroom and prefers middy overdrives and boosts rather than being a clean platform. That said, it didn't get the broken glass top end of a blackface fender so it's not bad for home practice. 

It sounds like it's worth trying for you though. They're very responsive, but to be honest, they're at they're best up loud and played harder - I'd liken it to being a more balanced, more versatile ac15. Not all mids with top - I'd probably trade my ac15 for one given the chance. 

Edit: no idea if a v30 would work, in my experience amps that sound good with a greenback aren't good with a v30. But the et65 is probably a really good bet. Louder than a greenback too. 
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4305
    Si_ said:
     I'm looking for a small giggle amp

The wonders of predictive text. Gave me a laugh, thank you....
    LOL, never noticed that...
  • Great amps, I record and gig with an 18watt tmb regularly. For that classic late 60s early 70s crunch without deafening yourself it's fantastic, very warm. Reminiscent of a jtm45 just at a lower volume level. Handles overdrive and boosts well and is heaven with a tube reverb unit sat in front of it. 
  • IMO one of the interesting things about the 1974x is that it sounds much better heard in a band context. They can sound slightly nasal when heard in isolation. But once you add bass and drums it all suddenly makes sense. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2596
    tFB Trader
    IMO one of the interesting things about the 1974x is that it sounds much better heard in a band context. They can sound slightly nasal when heard in isolation. But once you add bass and drums it all suddenly makes sense. 

Agreed, I used to stick an EQ pedal in front of mine for bedroom practice, but never needed that for a band setting
    Deal is done and I now have it.. Haven't had a chance to test it yet but will tonight.

The one I have had a buffered FX loop and modded to make the 2 channels foot switchable.