Valve questions

ToonToon Frets: 57
Thinking about new valves for my Marshall amp (2 x EL84 and 2 x ECC83).
Questions.......
1. I hear people talking about NOS valves from Mullard, Brimar and the like - plenty out there on eBay but some are silly prices. Is it worth it or is it snake oil?
2. I've been recommended Karltone as a good supplier - anyone on here use them and, if so, are they good?
3. I've read many poor reports on Watford Valves so will probably stay clear of them 

TIA
John

I am not young enough to know everything

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• A lot of anything is cork-sniffing and snake oil. I generally get JJ-branded valves these days, but used Sovtek if my first amps.

You can sometimes get used Mullard on Ebay and would suggest that rather than buying NOS.

Having said that, I bought a Marshall with all EHX valves last year as it sounded like the Marshall sound in my head when I tried it.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    edited December 2016
    20 years ago NOS valves were definitely significantly better than new production.  The new production stuff has improved since then so the gap isn't as big any more.

There are fakes and worn out valves on Ebay.  You can get good ones but it is a bit chancy.  10 or 12 years ago I bought a whole bunch of used Mullard ECC83s on Ebay.  None of them were completely non-functional, but some of them were noisy, and didn't sound good.  The good ones are genuinely good though.

Karltone are good.

Watford valves are ok.  I've bought more valves from there than anywhere else.  Most of the gripes are about his website, which is a bit archaic and shows prices without VAT.  It's not that hard to add 20% VAT if you have a functioning brain.  He can also be a bit prickly on the phone.  I'm pretty sure that he is fundamentally honest though.  If you want NOS valves where you can be confident that they are what they are meant to be, then he's probably one of the few reliable sources with a good selection - although you will pay!
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782

1. They do sound different, which may mean better to some (including me) but the difference is very subtle. It's like the difference between a basswood body guitar and an alder body guitar, or between maple and rosewood fretboards. If you're not too picky about these types of things then it probably isn't worth the extra money.

2. Yes Karltone are good, I've bought from them in the past.

3. Nothing wrong with Watford, I've bought valves from them too, they have a great selection and nice descriptions of the valve characteristics. They can be a bit more expensive than Karltone once you factor in the VAT though.

• vizviz Frets: 10731
    Watford are perfectly fine in my experience. I've probably bought 50 valves from them over the years, and hardly any have ever gone. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031
    edited December 2016
    I've used Watford and found them pretty good - I tend to buy NOS from them - mainly JAN Philips and Winged C, which I like for gigging amps as they seem to rarely fail. That said they are expensive and it tends to be 6L6's / EL34's that I'm looking for.

The only EL84 amp that I've got has old Boogie ones in it and those valves have lasted well given how hot they run!

If you are getting EL84's get them from someone who burns them in as those that fail tend to fail early given how hot most amps run EL84's.

Worth looking at HotRoxUK - I've used them a few times and they have always been good!
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    I will +1 Karltone, I've spoke to him on the phone before and he was a nice chap. Turns around orders quickly, and it feels good supporting a good small business so I order from him when I can.

I had an experience interacting with the Watford guy that put me off ordering from them, but that was to be fair 6 years ago now so I'll just state that I made maybe 6 orders with them before that and they all arrived quickly and were well packaged.
  • When it comes to valves, tones and compatibility, Derek at Watford Valves is one of the most knowledgable around. Never had any issues dealing with him, and always had prompt service, with bombproof packaging. Range is extensive. Want NOS? Go there 

My main pusher are Hotrox, as I now only buy current production valves. With my current rigs, they sound best to my ear, and I don't need to sell a kidney to afford them. Hotrox are generally a little cheaper, but Derek does volume discounts on occasion

Ordering from either website is easy btw
  • TitchTitch Frets: 46
    Good service from Karltone, very quick delivery.
  • HHwarnerHHwarner Frets: 137
    Karltone every time for new, ebay for NOS ECC83's
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1967
    Be mindful that the Mullard brand was bought by "New Sensor" who are an umbrella company for a few other valve brands. That means that there are plenty of "Mullard" branded valves advertised, many of which are not from the original UK factory.