Twin Reverb wiring idea...

What's Hot
TrudeTrude Frets: 916
I've recently borrowed back my old '65 TRRI from the mate I sold it to some years ago, because I've been hankering for that sound again.  Mucking about with speaker configs at the moment...

My idea is to wire each speaker to an individual jack (they're normally in parallel - 8ohm speakers, giving 4 ohm load overall).  I'm thinking I can keep it stock by plugging one speaker into the internal output, and the other into the extension output, assuming these two are wired in parallel.  Then when I fancy getting clever I can run a low-power head (something dirty like an 18w Marshall) into one of the speakers, and pull two of the 6L6s to keep the Twin matched to the 8ohm load of the other speaker.  This will give me a nice two-amp clean/dirty rig without needing two separate cabs.  

Any reason why that shouldn't work?
Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    That will work fine. The speaker jacks are in parallel on the Twin - apart from late-70s 135W ones, which are in series.

You probably don't even need to pull two valves really - it's unlikely you'll be cranking a Twin to the point the impedance mismatch will matter or the power would be a risk to the speaker.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 916
    ICBM said:

You probably don't even need to pull two valves really - it's unlikely you'll be cranking a Twin to the point the impedance mismatch will matter or the power would be a risk to the speaker.
    Even better - thanks!
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom