Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Today I have been using Word all morning

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kill me now. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5205
    Did you really need Word to type that?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My sincere condolences.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • Word up
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Word is a shit product.

End of thread.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Looks like you're writing a rant about Word....Do you need help? Click here for Mr Fucking PaperclipBell-end to pop up at every sodding stroke of your keyboard. You're welcome!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    Word and excel are cheap immitations of the real products that caused MS to up thier game in the first place. They became ubiquitous because MS made it default with thier OS windoze for a decade or so. For most simple applications they work well enough if you have spent days getting familiar with them. Life would be easier and yet more difficult without them.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4983
    Not sure what the OPs problem with MS Word is. It is a word processor, one that can be used as simple or as complex as you like. Same as just about every other word processor. Nowadays everything is WYSIWYG but that was not always the case. Wordstar for example. Those of us who used Wordstar on a regular basis, got to know and memorised the formatting codes etc. Modern word processors, like MS Word, are a stroll in the park when compared to Wordstar. And don't get me started about Word Perfect....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    Rocker said:
    Not sure what the OPs problem with MS Word is. It is a word processor, one that can be used as simple or as complex as you like. Same as just about every other word processor. Nowadays everything is WYSIWYG but that was not always the case. Wordstar for example. Those of us who used Wordstar on a regular basis, got to know and memorised the formatting codes etc. Modern word processors, like MS Word, are a stroll in the park when compared to Wordstar. And don't get me started about Word Perfect....
    Agree.  It's overly complex for sure, but it's not that bad...
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
    Rocker said:
    Not sure what the OPs problem with MS Word is. 
    I usually work with with Indesign, Illustrator, Photoshop. Everything can be minutely tweaked instantly to get stuff to fit. With Word, it is more a case of wrestling it into submission for everything. Lots of time, lots of banging your head on the desk at the stupidity of the software and its desire to be unhelpful at every stage. I work with Editors who use it all day and they all hate it for the same reasons. It is joke software, if they bought it to the table now they would get laughed out of town. Anyway, I'm just having a rant, what I want to be doing is three sets of interesting and detailed illustrations. Roll on tomorrow.
  • It sucks balls. But the main problem with it in my experience is that people use it to do things where powerpoint and excel would be much better. Fer example at work we have to present our project work on a one sheet document that the HR dept made in word. If you want to 2 pictures in you're stuffed, want to change formatting of a text box you're stuffed, make a graph you're stuffed.

Its shite. But still better than MS Project.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• randellarandella Frets: 4174
    axisus said:
    Rocker said:
    I usually work with with Indesign, Illustrator, Photoshop. Everything can be minutely tweaked instantly to get stuff to fit. With Word, it is more a case of wrestling it into submission for everything. Lots of time, lots of banging your head on the desk at the stupidity of the software and its desire to be unhelpful at every stage. I work with Editors who use it all day and they all hate it for the same reasons. It is joke software, if they bought it to the table now they would get laughed out of town. Anyway, I'm just having a rant, what I want to be doing is three sets of interesting and detailed illustrations. Roll on tomorrow.
    Ironically it's probably because it's been made to be too damn clever for its own good that it appears unhelpful.  I know what you mean - you try and tweak a line of text and... bam.  Your whole document looks like the cat had it for dinner.

Sometimes I think that removing a lot of the auto-cleverness would make it a more straightforward, usable product.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4983
    Can you type directly into Indesign, Illustrator or Photoshop @axisus? Maybe a simple text editor app would be better than a full blown word processor like MS Word...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    axisus said:
    Rocker said:
    Sounds like you're trying to do something its not designed for. There's plenty of desktop publishing programs out there which will allow the minute tweaks you seek, but Word is not one of them.
  • If you think Word is bad you obviously haven't had the pleasure of libre/open office
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    If you think Word is bad you obviously haven't had the pleasure of libre/open office
    Last time I checked Open Office you could write macros in a proper programming language - not the abomination that is VBA.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4174
    crunchman said:
    If you think Word is bad you obviously haven't had the pleasure of libre/open office
    Last time I checked Open Office you could write macros in a proper programming language - not the abomination that is VBA.
    For the vast majority of people (me included), it's probably a moot point which language you use to write macros - all I ever want Word to do is let me lay out a table without it deciding for me the crazy formatting it thinks I should be using.

But the professional programmer in me wholeheartedly agrees with your argument about VBA, even despite the fact I've always been a Microsoft guy :)
    paul_c2 said:
    axisus said:
    Rocker said:
    Sounds like you're trying to do something its not designed for.  
    Not really. We are a big organisation and produce a vast amount of reports. Everyone has to do their own using a Word template and for the most part the process bypasses me. I get to do the fancy pro stuff. Very occasionally I have to get my hands dirty tarting up someone's Word fiasco. Thankfully it is relatively rare.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27007
    edited December 2016
    Word is actually very good if you know how to use it. 

Publisher is miles better for creating anything beyond simple reports that are 99% text, but for actual writing, word is fine. If you're even considering doing anything that you'd normally use Illustrator or PS for then Word is absolutely the wrong tool. Same for excel - if you're writing more than 4 lines of VBA then excel is the wrong tool and you should almost certainly be using a database or proper bespoke software.

It's worth noting there are a HUGE number of people who have no idea how to work Word, which doesn't help. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • axisus said:
    Rocker said:
    I usually work with with Indesign, Illustrator, Photoshop. Everything can be minutely tweaked instantly to get stuff to fit. With Word, it is more a case of wrestling it into submission for everything. .
    There are those of us who find Photoshop et al completely innavigable and a battle to operate even the simplest of functions, but have no problem using Word whatsoever. You just have to learn how to use it like you had to with Photoshop
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic