Fixing neck scratch.

What's Hot
Sooo my PRS just fell off it's stand and the neck hit a metal clip, leaving a nice scratch in the paint, as seen in pic.

https://imgur.com/gallery/JZuPB

Little dings don't normally bother me, but this one is in an akward place where I can feel it when running up and down the neck etc.

I've read that using acetone and some car lacquer can fill it out a bit? 
Any one got son experience or advice?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835

That would bother me too.

You could ask a local furniture dealer if they could put you in touch with a French Polisher, they would know how to sort that out, I reckon.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16776
    Depends how deep it is and if it goes through the colour, but build up some clear lacquer to fill, sand it all smooth and carry on.  Just make a tape dam near the fretboard edge first 
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    It's a few mm deep, doesn't seem to have gone down to wood, the scratch is white. 
    Bit of a Nick out the fretboard side too.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16776
    sgosden said:
    It's a few mm deep, doesn't seem to have gone down to wood, the scratch is white. 
    Bit of a Nick out the fretboard side too.

Some lacquers do scratche white. Its not uncommon and doesn't mean its gone through the colour.   The fact the scratch is also white on the bit that goes over the rosewood shows this.

if its really a few mm deep you may need to consider epoxy or superglue for the fill,  or taking off all the finish because it shouldn't be that thick ;)  I think a drop fill with lacquer will be fine