What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3456
edited December 2016 in Off Topic
A few of mine.

Dual 1009.

Thorens TD150 (Now sold)

Logic DM101 / Logic Datum II.

My old SME/Thorens

There is a few more but photobucket is being an arse, again.

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10697
    robgilmo said:
    A few of mine.

Dual 1009.

Is it white?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Regar Planar 2 and a Regar Planar 3 - they are in different rooms. I have three hi-fi systems in my house .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3456
    viz said:
    robgilmo said:
    A few of mine.

Dual 1009.

Is it white?

Photobucket being a poo bum.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    edited December 2016 tFB Trader

Not really in keeping with the above, I've just bought and overhauled this 1964 (so same age as me and the wife) Ferranti RP1106. The turntable needed a couple of tweaks and I've had the amp out and changed all the caps. The ECL86 valves were the original 1964 Mullards, and still working fine, but I replaced them with some NOS unused late 60s Mullards.

I've really got into it now and tracked down a brand new turntable mat, and got hold of the service sheet for the BSR UA15 changer, so at some point I'll give it a full service.

It's really gratifying that a., it's all repairable and b., everywhere you go on it you see 'Made in Great Britain'.

I got my old records out of the loft and I must say, I haven't had so much fun listening to music in a very long time.

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12332
    Wow that great @martinw I bought some valves via ebay a while back and wentto pick them up from a guy in Marple. His house was an alladins cave of these old players, he restores them to their former glory. He had some cracking stuff, I was there for about 2 hrs!
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • vizviz Frets: 10697
    edited December 2016
    http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab217/Vizzage/image_zpsqhigz5di.jpeg

I had SRM-Tech do the ultimate upgrade on my Planar 3. I heartily recommend it to all Rega owners, if you love your vinyl and can stomach the cash. it's made the deck sound amazing. You can find it on ebay. 

1. Silent Base - Designed to give the deck a sprung suspension system providing better isolation from external disturbance, such as footfall and acoustic feedback. It also provides far better isolation from motor noise / vibration by housing the motor on the base as opposed to the turntable plinth. The rubber feet are removed from the original plinth and this now sits on the sorbothane suspension domes of the Silent Base. You can choose jet black or clear acrylic with chrome or gold plated coned feet - please state when ordering.

2 .Deluxe Acrylic Platter - Acrylic sounds far more neutral than glass, which can sound bright and has a tendency to ring. This platter is 20mm thick, with a rebate in the underside to hide the motor pulley, belt and sub-platter. It has the same 'see-through' mid range as our 10mm acrylic platter but with more bass weight and authority. There is more mass around the periphery than in the centre, which aids rotational stability, making the deck sound more pitch stable and dynamic. This is our latest jet black platter which also features a record label recess should you wish to use it without a mat. The platter mounts onto the sub-platter via three points, effectively decoupling it and thus reducing noise. Should you wish to use the platter without the mat, the mounting system allows height adjustment of up to 3mm, negating the need to alter the tonearm height. This is one superb sounding platter!

3. Platter Damping Ring - this 18mm ring tightly hugs the rim of the platter acting as a peripheral wave trap and further damping any resonance in the platter.

4. Silicone Platter Mat - this achieves far more damping than the standard felt mat and is a natural partner to the Deluxe Acrylic Platter, sounding nicely balanced - and as Hi-Fi World magazine said 'More transparent and organic'.

5. Ultra High Quality Ball Bearing - The ball that sits at the bottom of the main bearing housing is replaced with one of our own ultra high quality stainless steel balls. 

6. Spindle Support Pad - A small high purity PTFE pad is inserted in the main bearing housing, between the ball and the spindle. This low friction pad eliminates metal to metal contact at the point where most noise is generated, making the bearing drastically quieter and virtually eliminating spindle wear.

7. Ultimate Turntable Bearing Oil - The main bearing is cleaned and degreased before fitting items 4 & 5. The bearing is then lubricated with our superb 'Black Oil'. The best lubricant ever for turntable bearings, this contains Molybedenum Disulfide and Graphite and ensures the bearing runs quieter with less wear.

8. Bearing Damping Ring - our new over-sized BDR fits tightly around the bearing housing and absorbs vibration generated from within. Again, it makes the bearing quieter. This is shown in the fourth picture, together with the following motor mods.

9. Motor Vibration Absorber - The Silent Base houses a large motor vibration absorber which the motor simply push fits into. This allows easy adjustment of motor height / angle as well as effectively absorbing vibration created by the motor.

10. Motor Thrust Bearing - This is attached to the base of the motor, allowing the motor spindle to ride on a proper bearing as opposed to the sleeve bearings inside the motor. Adjustable with the allen key supplied, this really does transform the Premotec AC synchronous motor, making it run much quieter and eliminating any 'ticking' noise.

11. Counterweight Resonance Controller - this ring is fitted around the counterweight of the tonearm, effectively absorbing resonances. Two are supplied to suit both RB250 and RB300 arms.

12. I also got the asymmetrical counterweight and new wiring loom. 

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    https://images-nitrosell-com.akamaized.net/product_images/11/2621/large-89111.jpg
    I wish. However, I do have one of these
    http://www.vinylengine.com/images/model/nad_5120.jpg
    though the speed is very erratic - it plays 45s at 33 most of the time.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Wow that great @martinw I bought some valves via ebay a while back and wentto pick them up from a guy in Marple. His house was an alladins cave of these old players, he restores them to their former glory. He had some cracking stuff, I was there for about 2 hrs!

Sounds like someone I'd like to chat with :)

I've been thinking about re-covering mine, but I'm torn between keeping the aged patina on it. It would look spangly though in red and cream tolex, with new gold hardware. far more important than reducing wow and flutter! :D

• there is my Dan

my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon Red

the Pro-Ject I had before the Carbon which sold on this very forum

and an example of what I have coming

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    there is my Dan

Nice! That's the same turntable as mine has BSR UA15.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7788

There's an upgrade kit available for my turntable, but I don't use it often enough these days to justify the expense.

httpwwwminhembiocombilderbildpic_id139939jpg

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11303
    There's no way I'm going to post photos of my NADs on the internet.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff297/Axe_meister/F3510135-A48D-4750-8572-CFDB5313D8E3_zpsrfguzhhm.jpg
    Any recommendations for a cartridge (up to £50) to replace the AT95?
    Arm is a mission 774SM (which is apparently rare as hens teeth and almost as good as the Zeta arm from what I have read)

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3076
    edited December 2016
    I have @strumjoughlamps old(!) Pro-ject Elemental as pictured above. An extremely positive transaction before I shot a red light by Fosse Park on the way home. This resulted in me sitting a driver safety course a few weeks later... still worth it though

"A city star won’t shine too far"