Dollar Prices

What's Hot
It's really shocking how much we get ripped off in this country, a friend of mine wanted to buy the new 15 inch Macbook Pro and has found he can save £100 by flying to New York and buying it there. 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Apple have always had a premium outside of the US. I think there has been some feeling of gouging on the new MBP.

All that said the cost of doing business here from duty to vat to rents and rates to store margins employment legislation and currency  all have an impact on the landed cost and retail price v the US it's simply not an eggs to eggs comparison. Oh and don't forget volume and removal and public shaming of tax manoeuvres. 

Ultimately the Elements that impact pricing are endless

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Is that including the 20% vat he'd have to pay on it when bringing it back into the country? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    edited December 2016
    Is that including the 20% vat he'd have to pay on it when bringing it back into the country? 
    and the 8.87% that  you have to add to the price in the US because prices there are without tax?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Is that including the 20% vat he'd have to pay on it when bringing it back into the country? 
    octatonic said:
    and the 8.87% that  you have to add to the price in the US because prices there are without tax?

We don't have to pay Sales Tax in the US as we don't live there. Also there is no way for customs to prove that you have bought it in the US. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9676
    octatonic said:

We don't have to pay Sales Tax in the US as we don't live there. Also there is no way for customs to prove that you have bought it in the US. 
    I suspect that the serial number would be sufficient for anybody who wanted to check.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  •   
    Also there is no way for customs to prove that you have bought it in the US. 

Firstly, the onus will be on you to prove that the shiny electronics in your suitcase are not from the USA and secondly getting caught lying to HMRC is not something you want to happen. Paying the VAT will be the least of your worries.

By all means, bring stuff into the country illegally. Its your conscience. But don't use your illegally landed price to compare to the cost of things in shops that have been brought in officially. That's just daft.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    octatonic said:

We don't have to pay Sales Tax in the US as we don't live there.

Wrong.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I bought an iPad in the US in the Black Friday sales and saved £100 even vs UK BF deals... but that comes in under the personal limit (£390)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Long way to go to save a ton.
    If you were there anyway then it makes sense.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited December 2016
    Cost of travel plus a warranty that will only be honoured in the US? Plus US sales tax, and import charges & VAT if you declare it on entry to UK.

Not a saving

• octatonic said:
    Long way to go to save a ton.
    If you were there anyway then it makes sense.
    I was visiting family
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited December 2016
    just borrow a UK receipt off someone and take it with you as proof that you already owned it upon return...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

For example, if I bought something from the US, took it back to the UK and paid import duty, if I then brought it back through customs and didn't bring the receipt for the tax I've paid, what would happen then.

Also, If you receive a Gift in the US, would that have to be taxed?
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12370
    Presumably the 110v power supply with the US plug would give it away if customs did decide to check? 
  • boogieman said:
    Presumably the 110v power supply with the US plug would give it away if customs did decide to check? 

The Macbook has a universal power supply with interchangeable tips. Last time I bought a Mac in the UK (not mine but for a friend), the guy at the store threw in a free European tip when I asked.
  • I bought a power mac laptop when I lived in the states and as far as I can work out the only difference is the cable that I plug into the power pack - US price $2899, UK price £2999. The nice chap in the shop even ordered me one with a UK keyboard :)
  • It's really shocking how much we get ripped off in this country, a friend of mine wanted to buy the new 15 inch Macbook Pro and has found he can save £100 by flying to New York and buying it there. 
    The problem is really that your friend wants a fashionable overpriced computer with little practical benefit over its lower prices competitors (Dell XPS for example) . If you or he are "shocked" by the markup in the UK then you should be upset at Apple themselves; a company with tremendous profits who pay as little as possible to their workers and even less in tax. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • It's really shocking how much we get ripped off in this country, a friend of mine wanted to buy the new 15 inch Macbook Pro and has found he can save £100 by flying to New York and buying it there. 
    The problem is really that your friend wants a fashionable overpriced computer with little practical benefit over its lower prices competitors (Dell XPS for example) . If you or he are "shocked" by the markup in the UK then you should be upset at Apple themselves; a company with tremendous profits who pay as little as possible to their workers and even less in tax. 

I understand, I wouldn't buy a Mac myself. It's the same with everything though, the markup is higher with apple but we should be able to get electronics that are manufactured in China cheaper here. 

The difference is more than VAT. 
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    It's really shocking how much we get ripped off in this country, a friend of mine wanted to buy the new 15 inch Macbook Pro and has found he can save £100 by flying to New York and buying it there. 

I understand, I wouldn't buy a Mac myself. It's the same with everything though, the markup is higher with apple but we should be able to get electronics that are manufactured in China cheaper here. 

As stated elsewhere in the thread, UK pricing is influenced by many factors that reflect the cost of doing business in the U.K along with the profit margin that any given company expects to receive. 

For consumer electronics, there is also the implied costs of providing 2 year warranty that I'm guessing is not standard in U.S market?

There is no doubt that operating costs for most companies are higher in U.K than in U.S - Staff salaries are higher and floor space more expensive. 

That said, there are many companies from many different industries that seek to extract greater profit margins from U.K than they do from other countries....we appear to accept it?
  • exocet said:

As stated elsewhere in the thread, UK pricing is influenced by many factors that reflect the cost of doing business in the U.K along with the profit margin that any given company expects to receive. 

For consumer electronics, there is also the implied costs of providing 2 year warranty that I'm guessing is not standard in U.S market?

There is no doubt that operating costs for most companies are higher in U.K than in U.S - Staff salaries are higher and floor space more expensive. 

That said, there are many companies from many different industries that seek to extract greater profit margins from U.K than they do from other countries....we appear to accept it?

It even happens within Europe, how do Maxon get away with charging £3240 for Cinema 4D Studio in the UK when it's only £3000 in Germany.