RD Amps

What's Hot
hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
edited December 2016 in Amps
Apart from @Barney who has given glowing reports on Rob's amps has anyone else here had an amp off of Rob. They look and sound very nice

http://www.rdamplification.co.uk/

Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Blimey no one? I'm surprised at that. Maybe that's a good thing as he still charges moderately compared to some boutique builders. Maybe I should never have started this post to keep him relatively unknown LOL
  • Yeah - I know what you mean  ;)

Check out the "amps that bloom" thread on this board. A video clip of an RDA there which I think sounds great, even through a phone mic. I have been looking at Robs' options for a while now, and may well take the plunge on a Dualist soon

Will have to sell something first though .. the queen has drawn the line, so it's a one out one in rule these days
  • I'll be demoing in the new year so I'll keep you all posted :)
  • I've had an RD Dualist head for two years now and the matching 2x12 for about 18 months. Robs work is great. Attention to detail and going the extra mile with everything. Sound wise, even after 2 years I plug in (with or without pedal board) I get that fizz. I've since rid my board of any distortion pedals or any pedal that alters the natural tone of the amp. It cleans up beautiful and can really rock when you want to. I went for a pair of kt66s in cathode bias for the output stage and she's loud. If you have any questions or want any more info if i can help I will :)

Can't recommend them enough
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2596
    tFB Trader
    I don't own one, but I have known Rob for years and he builds great sounding amps, you can't go wrong if that is the sort of thing you are after.
  • I don't own one, but I have known Rob for years and he builds great sounding amps, you can't go wrong if that is the sort of thing you are after.
    You mean Dumble type of thing @Modulus_Amps ?
    tFB Trader
    yes that's what I was implying, but I am sure he is not limited to that sort of thing...
  • yes that's what I was implying, but I am sure he is not limited to that sort of thing...
    Well not ever having played a Dumble I'm not sure what one sounds like. However, I'm quite keen to try something soundwise that I haven't heard before. I certainly like Robben Ford's tone and SRV so I believe they were Dumble users  but then again each Dumble amp sounds different apparently ;)
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    edited December 2016

SRV used a huge number of amps in his career, and usually in multi amp set ups.

When he was using a Dumble, he didn't use what's generally regarded as a Dumble which all the clones have copied, ie the Overdrive Special which a relatively high gain Fender-based amp.

He used a Steel String Singer, which is a loud clean amp mainly aimed a steel players, and very rare even by Dumble standards.

Stevie's sounds isn't actually that high gain, he essientially just turned the amp up very loud.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    yes they do, but the key thing on the robin ford one and the early versions is that the tone stack is before the overdrive section, so you don't get the same control of the over drive tone as you do on a more modern hot rodded bassman derived circuit.

The drive tone is also different too, I have a robin ford style amp here that I have been tweaking for a few weeks, for that jazzy/bluesy coffee break grooves sort of thing it is great, but if I want the classic rock /modern rock tone then I generally would go to another amp first.

You have to try them to know if it is going to work for you. - the cleans are great though - must have an effects loop, preferably with a buffered send!

• The link between dumble style amps and the dualist is very subtle. The pre-amp design started as a dumble style fender clean but it's been fettled and tweaked to be its own thing. The output couldn't be more different. Dumbles were design for maximum headroom and no power amp break up where as the dualist has a tweed style output so will saturate beautifully. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The link between dumble style amps and the dualist is very subtle. The pre-amp design started as a dumble style fender clean but it's been fettled and tweaked to be its own thing. The output couldn't be more different. Dumbles were design for maximum headroom and no power amp break up where as the dualist has a tweed style output so will saturate beautifully. 
    Sounding good. Can't wait to try one :)
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3061
    Not an amp but I do own an oversized 2x12 cab from RD amps. Bought off a member of this board.

Very well made cab, solid as you like an sounds great
  • Stevepage said:
    Not an amp but I do own an oversized 2x12 cab from RD amps. Bought off a member of this board.

What speakers have you in it @Stevepage ;
    edited December 2016
    I believe Celestion G12H-30s
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    Stevepage said:

When i got my head and speaker i thought he would probably buy the cabinets for them in...but all built by hand ..! The cabs i think he was saying about a floting baffle or something ?.. for better sound they sound great though ..mine is the oval back with 2 different taydens in and tayden diffusers..
  • Barney said:
    Stevepage said:

When i got my head and speaker i thought he would probably buy the cabinets for them in...but all built by hand ..! The cabs i think he was saying about a floting baffle or something ?.. for better sound they sound great though ..mine is the oval back with 2 different taydens in and tayden diffusers..

Most of his cabs unless stated by the buyer are made of pine, have floating baffles and are open backed.
    edited December 2016
    ^ correct. I think mine was a special request as it's an oversized 2x12, floating baffle but closed back.