Blackstar artisan 2 x 12: stereo or mono?

JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
Which input should i be using for my grandmiester head? I tried it in the 16 ohms stereo input tonight and it sounded amazing where normally i use it via mono one..
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    You "should" be using the mono input, but if the amp isn't more than 60W you won't do any harm by running it like that, if you like it.

What you're getting there is only one speaker being driven. The other one will be acting to some degree as a 'passive radiator' and will not be in phase with the first one, although in an open-back cab it won't be moving much.

Normally this sounds a bit odd, but obviously it sounds odd in a way you happen to like :). Out-of-phase sounds are sometimes quite interesting or give a sort of pseudo 'wide' sound.

Be aware that it may be very dependent on the room too - if it sounds good in a small room at home, don't assume it will on stage, if you're planning on that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    So would it be more like a 1 x 12? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    Sort of - but an oversized one that lets a bit of the 'back' sound from the speaker out through the front as well, having altered it since the undriven speaker cone won't be acoustically transparent… so it won't sound the same as a normal 1x12".

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Hmmm interesting! I shall experiment but as its only a 36 watt head at max we should be fine.

I do wonder if a 1 x 12 would be better but i can experiment