2x NAD - the up-cycling continues ...

What's Hot
4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
in Amps tFB Trader
I'm continuing my trend of up-cycling old soild-state combos with this pair of latest builds ...

Firstly one I've had on the backburner for ages - I bought it as a broken solid-state SubZero branded amplifier. I loved the look of the blue tolex and the 6" speaker made it a great candidate for a champ-type build. Out came all the guts and in went valve loveliness.

I went a slightly different route and I've built it parallel single-ended, so the output stage uses both a 6v6 and EL84, balanced for even power output. So you get the warmth and bottom end of the 6v6, plus the crunch and earlier breakup of the EL84.

Simple controls of volume and tone, plus a switch to remove the tonestack (much more of a gainy, raw sound) and one to boost the preamp valve and fatten.

Scroll down past the pics for the next amp ... oh and I forgot to mention - I've had some logos laser-cut, I think they look ace :)

Next up is a tiny - and I mean TINY -  HiWatt combo I found in a skip a couple of weeks back ... so I had to rise to the challenge of fitting a valve amp in there. 

I've kept it low wattage using a ECC99 output tube, for around 3w total. Preamp has a switchable extra gain stage so it really roars. Sounds surprisingly good through the 5" speaker, and immense when plugged into a 1x12 cab. Perfect for noodling at home, or shoving in a rucksack and rocking out at rehearsal!

Oh, and I put a plexiglass panel on the back so you can see the insides. No idea why, just thought it looked cool ...

0reaction image LOL 18reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    They both look incredible! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7576
    they look fantastic - the logos are particularly cool 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Want. 

So much want. I approve of this up cycling in a massive way. 
  • Totally professional look to them. Great work.
  • Mike77Mike77 Frets: 14
    They look awesome. Would love to hear some clips of them in action.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2371
    wow very nice :D i agree, those sub zeros' colour scheme is actually very nice. and the plexi bit at the back of the hiwatt is awesome

are you just using the stock speakers?
  • I'm continuing my trend of up-cycling old soild-state combos with this pair of latest builds ...

Firstly one I've had on the backburner for ages - I bought it as a broken solid-state SubZero branded amplifier. I loved the look of the blue tolex and the 6" speaker made it a great candidate for a champ-type build. Out came all the guts and in went valve loveliness.

Very nice, do you mind me asking how you did the faceplate on the champ-style build? I'm sure I read in the past you have used printable foil but this one looks to be different?
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Dave_Mc said:
    wow very nice :D i agree, those sub zeros' colour scheme is actually very nice. and the plexi bit at the back of the hiwatt is awesome

Yes in the Hiwatt, in the champ I have a Jensen C6 - cont remember the letter afterwards though. Very big sounding for a 6"
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    SL1210 said:
    I'm continuing my trend of up-cycling old soild-state combos with this pair of latest builds ...

Very nice, do you mind me asking how you did the faceplate on the champ-style build? I'm sure I read in the past you have used printable foil but this one looks to be different?
    Printable silver foil, same. :-)
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Awesome!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1390
    Dan, these are so cool. I love them.

Any chance I can order a nameplate to go on the Mini-Vibe? 
    tFB Trader
    bbill335 said:

I'll see if I have any spare for you :-)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Dave_Mc said:

Yes in the Hiwatt, in the champ I have a Jensen C6 - cont remember the letter afterwards though. Very big sounding for a 6"
    Nice :D i've got a 6" from the mod series in my fame tube 5, and it sounds not too bad for a 6" too. I'm guessing the c6 is more vintage-accurate, though. there's a 5" in the mod series that might fit in the hiwatt, but i haven't tried it... might just be spending money for the sake of it, though.
    edited December 2016 tFB Trader
    Dave_Mc said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    wow very nice D i agree, those sub zeros' colour scheme is actually very nice. and the plexi bit at the back of the hiwatt is awesome

Nice D i've got a 6" from the mod series in my fame tube 5, and it sounds not too bad for a 6" too. I'm guessing the c6 is more vintage-accurate, though. there's a 5" in the mod series that might fit in the hiwatt, but i haven't tried it... might just be spending money for the sake of it, though.
    I looked at the 5" which probably would upgrade the sound, but the magnet is too big so there wouldn't be room sadly.
    Ah, good point, yeah I was just looking at it and its magnet is about twice the weight of the one in the 6" for some reason. It says it's a good upgrade for Trace Elliot amps, it's not a bass speaker is it?
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1390
    bbill335 said:

I'll see if I have any spare for you :-)
    Yeeaah! It'll look ace!
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2912
    Love that blue tolex, awesome colour! 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11940
    I love your amps....I want them all!