Wet dry setup

What's Hot
sherpa_mansherpa_man Frets: 726
can somebody explain a wet dry setup to me?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    edited December 2016
    One amp would output just the dry (no time based effects) signal, with another (or sometimes two) carrying just the wet (time based effects) signal.
    It can sound huge but is a bit of a faff to set up down the Dog and Duck on a Friday night.

http://i.imgur.com/WnOE4GKh.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    It doesn't have to be as complicated as that, it just means any set-up where the effected (wet) and uneffected (dry) sounds are amplified separately. It gives a very lush but clear sound and it's often used by pros because the soundman can then give each its own desk channel and balance them differently in the out-front mix from the stage mix, if necessary.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I was watching a Pete Thorn thing and he was explaining he used a wet dry wet set up in his trio but didn't bother in larger bands because it just gets lost in the mix and there a mono set up makes more sense.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    edited December 2016
    Always fantasised about running a w/d/w with ping pong delays and huge lush reverbs but ultimately it would be for no other reason than self satisfaction and maybe 20 seconds of "enjoyment“ from the small audiences that come to see us play.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4729
    Deijavoo said:
    Always fantasised about running a w/d/w with ping pong delays and huge lush reverbs but ultimately it would be for no other reason that self satisfaction and maybe 20 seconds of "enjoyment“ from the small audiences that come to see us play.
    But I'm sure both of them would appreciate it! D
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Voxman said:
    Deijavoo said:
    Always fantasised about running a w/d/w with ping pong delays and huge lush reverbs but ultimately it would be for no other reason that self satisfaction and maybe 20 seconds of "enjoyment“ from the small audiences that come to see us play.
    Are you bringing a date next time??   =)

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited December 2016
    This is what I do sometimes. I have a device with an isolated output which goes to an amp with no fx going to it other output goes to the other amp which gets all the fx. No faff really just plug it in if I ever take 2 amps to a gig otherwise just l=plug one amp in. Simples
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • keirkeir Frets: 137
    This is what I do sometimes. I have a device with an isolated output which goes to an amp with no fx going to it other output goes to the other amp which gets all the fx. No faff really just plug it in if I ever take 2 amps to a gig otherwise just l=plug one amp in. Simples
    I do the same. Only issue I've found is that if delays / reverbs are set quite wet to be run in wet / dry then it's can sound a bit washed out if running wet only. 

This can be worked around by using a pedal with stereo in at the end of the chain that will sum to mono if you only use one output. 
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4729
    Deijavoo said:
    Voxman said:
    Deijavoo said:
    Are you bringing a date next time??   =)

Yup, thought I'd double the audience for you! - but only if you reciprocate! D
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    This is worth a watch

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10458
    I use a wet / dry rig ... Nothing complicated just a Marshall pre amp into a stereo power amp with time based effects one side only. The dry side is mic,ed so the sound guy can put his own delay on which is tap tempo,ed by him to the speed of the song. 
    The wet side is the stage sound and that's the side I turn up if someone on stage needs more of me. As times gone by though the whole band bar one guy has switched to IEM.s so I'm only really using the effected side for him and the audience people standing close to the stage. These people stand in what I call the PA hole ..... Basically they are too forward and centred to hear the PA stacks so they hear the wet and dry signal of the amp onstage 
    www.2020studios.co.uk