Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Are you a survivor?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
My bro showed me an interesting chapter in a book, about 'survivors'. In the (true) example, a plane crashed, some people scrambled to safety but others burned to death in their seats. Some of the survivors tried to help others, but they were so shocked that they couldn't move, they just sat staring forward with eyes wide open, unable to bring themselves to move. Anyway, the psychological aspects of this phenomenon were investigated, and it was found that a certain type of person was better hard wired to survive, the thing that sets them apart was the fact than in any safe situation they (sometimes without fully realising) scanned the room, environment, to be sure of the best exit options in an emergency. I have to admit that it is something I have always done, anytime in crowded areas in particular (gigs etc for example). Anyway, I found it to be interesting. Are you a survivor?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I think with any sort of situation like this it is very difficult to try and assess what you would do or how you would react.
    In the heat of the moment in a distressing/tragic/frightening situation people do not behave how you would expect and I've seen instances where the bravest, physically and mentally strongest people absolutely crumble (not always obviously) the research on this subject always makes really interesting reading though. 
    How very rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6083
    I'm working on it...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm dusting off my khaki hot pants as we speak. 

On a more serious note, I apparently handle stress well- I've had to deal with a couple of life & death first aid incidents. Apparently I did ok (no one died). 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I guess I am although I don't personally think so. I did a year of rough sleeping in Central London a few  years back. I became accustomed to sleeping with one eye open and if you're not particularly street savvy it can be traumatic. It's safe to say I won't be doing it again ;)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2769
    The logic is that, whilst the stress of the actual situation may be enormous, purely the act of pre-thought about a circumstance and likely (eg escape routes) is key to survival.

So the one about knowing which way to an escape route is key, such as on a plane (direction is usually easy, but knowing roughly how many rows to an exit is important when full of smoke or flames), similarly when entering your room in an unfamiliar hotel, one could go and see how many doors you are away from the fire exit - again it will be dark and dense smoke.  You could do the same with underground gigs!  In these circumstances, people wait to be told what to do, whereas people that have thought about it know that (in a plane crash) the ones who survive are the ones that get going and get out

the one which is unfortunately in our senses these days, and which apparently pre- thought is key to survival, is a lone shooter .  When first shots go off, lots and lots of people spend far too long in wondering what that might be , rather than knowing what to do in a lone shooter situation. Which is run in opposite direction, tell others to do so while you do, or if you can't to hide somewhere secure and quiet etc.  There are very useful websites which discuss this.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    I guess I am although I don't personally think so. I did a year of rough sleeping in Central London a few  years back. I became accustomed to sleeping with one eye open and if you're not particularly street savvy it can be traumatic. It's safe to say I won't be doing it again ;)

That is incredible. How did you end up there if you don't mind me asking?

I generally think I keep an awareness in public spaces, and when I go overseas, I take doorstops with me to put under the hotel doors. I do look for exits generally, but I am not sure if I wouldn't freeze when the time came. Would my reactions be fast enough? No idea, and hope I never have to find out.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Earlier this year I was caught up in a bit of a false-alarm terrorist alert in the Louvre in Paris - nothing serious in the event, but hundreds of people panicked and started running all over the place. I found myself surprisingly calm and alert, and got myself and my kids to the nearest emergency exit and out. I'm almost certain I hadn't paid any attention to where they were until the situation happened though.

I do definitely remember specifically checking that the fire escape was accessible at a particular gig I did in Edinburgh about fifteen years ago - when we were loading the gear into the venue it looked like a total firetrap and I said so to the singer. I was right - it burned down about a week later! Luckily with no injuries or deaths, but the whole building was destroyed. (The old Belle Angele, which some of the others here will probably remember.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28388
    No. I have died several times. For reference, it's generally a bit ouchy.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've dealt quite well with the few circumstances I'd describe as in some form of crisis ( like being assaulted or someone having a heart attack next to me). But then I've gone to pieces over the dishwasher breaking down.
    I think it's one of the attractions of the many post apocalyptic type films and TV shows that we imagine ourselves revealing our true selves as able to deal with anything once freed from having to put the bins out or sort a spreadsheet.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11927
    slightly related:

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24351
    edited December 2016
    I'm like a feckin' ninja me.  I'm always on the lookout for emergency escape routes etc.  I have a plan for every scenario - however unlikely.  E.g. - if I walk into a room, I check out where the doors are, how easily the windows might break and is there any way out of them safely.  If I'm on a plane, I'm working out who I need to put down to get to the exit first and who might be competition.  Since they reinforced the cockpit doors, my plan of saving everyone by landing it myself is done for though.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    I read the emergency instructions and pay attention to the safety brief every time I get on a plane. I'm cool like that, me...
    I like to know at least one method of getting out, though the way I got in usually suffices. 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    slightly related:

That's absolutely bizarre. There's not the slightest chance I would sit there and do nothing with smoke in the room like that, no matter how many other people were there.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1305
    But the people in the plane knew the way off the plane, they all knew how to get up out of their chair.  It's not the lack of preparation that kept them from standing up, it's basically rabbit in headlights stuff.

Every one of us will believe that they would be one of the survivors, but until you're actually in the headlights yourself you won't know that actually watching the safety video will be of any help whatsoever.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11927
    ICBM said:
    slightly related:

That's absolutely bizarre. There's not the slightest chance I would sit there and do nothing with smoke in the room like that, no matter how many other people were there.
    I have always believed that myself too
    The trouble is, how can we be sure?

more  on this:

http://www.weirduniverse.net/blog/comments/the_smoke_filled_room

https://www.dowellwebtools.com/tools/lp/Bo/psyched/16/Smoke-Filled-Room

baaa
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ToneControl said:

I have always believed that myself too
    The trouble is, how can we be sure?
    Because it's basic survival unless you're completely thick. Smoke in a room is potentially life-threatening even if you can't see the source of the fire.

The alternative is that it's exactly the lack of reaction from the others which makes her sit there - not because she's a sheep but because she realises she's being set up since she knows they can't possibly be that stupid either, and can't work out why or what for. So the experiment doesn't necessarily *prove* much.

I'm the awkward bugger who has gone to report stuff like water leaks and smells of smoke, though :).

• You don't know what you're capable of until something happens. Guitar players are elevated above mortals anyway.. you should have access to flow (and how to recognise it) and apply it to other situations. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited December 2016
    Everyone says I am. I can get on with anyone. I can diffuse any situation. I make all that I need and can turn my hand to anything. I can swim out of a sewerage pond at 1am in the woods in the dark at minus 3c. Im only good when im up against it to be honest and struggle with the mundane. In reality I'd probably curl up and die. It all depends what the spirits say. When your time is up, it's up. I always count the seats though and would have no worries about treading on a toddlers head should the spirits day so. I can reproduce and survive, they cant. In honesty no one ever knows unless they are against it and it all depends, its not a constant, so this thread is redundant. Sometimes when you say you're going the whole pub instantly leaves, sometimes you can't remember shit but dance all night. Sometimes you fight sometimes you run. Its dynamic and not dependant on the individual unless you are highly trained and sober.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    Give me your wallet
    edited December 2016
    Everyone should find out about themselves, how easy it is to kill but you're not a killer. Being so stoned adrenaline has no effect etc etc.

The truth is that many people don't know and we are surrounded by psychopaths in sheeps clothing who think they know best.

I guess the universal truth is that we change everyday and we are inter reactive pack animals. No one is above or below the  humanity and nothing is certain. Ever.