Carr Sportsman Owners - Help

What's Hot
Hello, 

A few weeks back I purchased a Sportsman from Coda. Lovely sounding, but there was a horrendous buzzing coming from the power tubes when playing certain notes. The rattling of the power tubes would cause a static noise on the note, as thought somebody is blowing into a microphone. Coda were brilliant about it, had the amp back, sent it to a tech, sent it back to me, problem persists. Coda then offered me an exchange for the tweed version which arrived yesterday. Similar issue, but this time the tube rattling is less audible, but the static sound on the note is much worse. 

I understand that naturally a combo is tough on the tubes, but this is occurring at quiet volumes, just specific frequencies. 

Has anybody else suffered the same issue? I'd like it to be a simple fix, if not I'll have to return it for a refund. I can't accept unwanted noise on a £1600 amp. 

Cheers. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9615
    edited December 2016
    Ive owned several Carrs, and two Sportsman. All silent in operation.

Just check that there is no house/local interference; my iMac really affects my Carr if I move it close to it. 

Its unusual to get two amps with the same problem.

Be confident in Doug (C0da) and Steve Carr if you get in touch; both offer superb service.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've tried to isolate the amp best I can in regards to interference. It's most prominent on the B string, 12th, 13th, 14th, and 15th fret. When plugged into an external cab the noise doesn't occur. Which leads me to believe its vibration causing the issue.

It's very unusual on two amps, especially with the solid reputation Carr have.   
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Sportsman owner here for the past 3 years, mines always been as quiet as mouse. Very strange that you've had two problems.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4305
    Dont discount that some ornament on the mantelpiece might be vibrating. I nearly lost the sale of two PA speakers cos of that. 
  • Thanks for the replies. It's definitely not anything in the room, troubleshooted that. The ring is exactly from the power tubes and the static sound comes out the speaker. 
  • peynadol said:
    Thanks for the replies. It's definitely not anything in the room, troubleshooted that. The ring is exactly from the power tubes and the static sound comes out the speaker. 
    Even so have you tried it at a mates house just to be sure? I had a Sportsman last year and it was quite as a church mouse for me too.
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1284

Skylark owner here - whisper quiet.

Have you tried a different guitar? Different lead, different mains socket, no pedals etc?

Hard to believe two bad amps

• I've tried different guitars, cables, no pedals, various rooms. As I said, the noise only occurs on certain frequencies which leads me to believe it's tube rattle. The amp itself is incredibly quiet when on, but when i play certain notes I get this 'woosh' noise underlying the actual note. An external cab eradicates this, which reinforces my belief of vibration being the issue. 

I just wondered if anybody else with the same amp had a similar issue, whether it was due to design or I've just been incredibly unfortunate. 
  • Tube rattle is a bitch. Very unusual that it has come about in both Carrs, one after the other. Sounds like you've been very unfortunate. Also unusual for it to occur on relatively high notes on your guitar. I had a similar problem with my Headstrong LKS, but more noticeably on lower frequencies. Went through two sets of JJs and replaced them with Svetlana Winged Cs and stuck some 33m silicone O rings over them and it's been silent ever since.
  • @peynadol - mate, just drop a message to Steve Carr.... He is incredibly helpful, and honestly, I reckon Ive owned about 8 Carr's and never had a blip of noise (including 2 Sportman)

info@carramps.com
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5187
    I've had a Mercury and a Skylark and not a peep out of mine 
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    4 Carrs, no peep

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Even when shifting stubborn masonry my Slant is rattle free.
  • Thanks for all the input people. A tube swap hasn't helped either, as i mentioned before the only solution is using an external cab. Seems i've just been very unlucky.  @Wazmeister - Just contacted Carr to see if they can shed some light on it. I've still opted for the refund as it'll always be a niggle in the back of my mind. 

It's a shame as it's an absolutely stunning amplifier. I'll probably pick one up on here the next times one pops up.
  • @peynadol - oh mate, what a shame...

Still, Coda service is always bang on, and Doug still has a million amps to tempt you !!