Please tell me about a WEM Bass Dominator Mk I.

What's Hot
My step father has had this amp since new, and after being abused through various hands over the years (briefly in mine) it's now in his loft.

eBay shows them going for 3-400 mint, and this is probably 'average for age' so unlikely to reach that far. My overall impression on this particular amp was (at least 5 years ago) that it's actually pretty bad for bass, but sounds good for guitar. If my reading is correct it's the 18w circuit that Watkins sold to/was ripped off for the early Marshall 18 watters.

It is unfortunately rather large - so really, my question is - is it worth being sold as is (are those ebay auctions just hopeful?), is it worth having serviced, and lastly - is it worth rehousing the amplifier half into a head, so I can plug it into my 1x12 (assuming ohmage is correct) ? Right now it's not accessible  (in the loft of a relative who I see rarely) but I can get it for one last hurrah.

Thank you!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    As you say they're quite poor for bass - unless you like a soft, farty, 60s-style bass sound at low (not giggable) volume. But excellent for guitar. It isn't the same circuit as the 18W Marshall by this point, but it still has something of the same character.

It's worth having it looked at - they're actually very reliable and rarely go wrong, but there are a small number of components which occasionally fail (not expensive ones) and it would be a good idea to make sure it's at least safe, whether you're going to use it or sell it.

Probably not worth turning it into a head - they're not that un-portable as it is. The 'spider frame' 15" Celestion is not heavy or very high-powered and sounds more like a slightly deeper Greenback than any sort of bass speaker, quite likely nicer than any similar 1x12".

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• OK, I was thinking about the portability and realised that the length of the control panel means I'd probably be overhanging my 1x12 cab by a fair bit anyway - not exactly a lunchbox. 

With regard to parts, I imagine it's got the original valves and definitely has never been serviced - is it something I should look into myself, or send to a professional? For the latter, if there are any recommendations in SE London I'd gladly take them.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    If you're handy with basic tools and know what to check for electrical safety you could make a start yourself. If not, I don't know anyone in south-east London, but @jpfamps may be close enough for you or able to recommend someone.

Original valves aren't necessarily an issue even if it's been used a lot, the old Mullards they were fitted with will usually last decades - it's electrolytic caps and a couple of other types that are the main problem.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

Denmark Street might a bit of a schlep too far.

John Dickinson might be worth a shout.

http://dickinsonamps.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1639
    edited December 2016

Don't take a saw to it until you have cleaned it up and posted a photo!

I have a Mersey Super 15 "head". Someone chopped off the speaker section. I have since found out that very few MS 15 combos were made and it could have been worth quite a bit.

BTW. If you don't like the 15" speaker or the mice have had the cone! You can make an adapter baffle from 15mm ply and fit the 12 of your choice.

Dave.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12683
    Great amps for guitar - don't chop it up though.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Dickson Amps looks like it could be a good shout, I just spoke to the chap and it seems reasonable so I think I'll be taking it there in the new year!
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1390
    impmann said:
    Great amps for guitar - don't chop it up though.
    Yeah you can get a head cabinet built by measuring it up and sending the numbers on to someone like Zilla.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2596
    tFB Trader
    Dickson Amps looks like it could be a good shout, I just spoke to the chap and it seems reasonable so I think I'll be taking it there in the new year!
    John is ace, his own amps are built with a very high attention to detail.

I have actually just been given one of these to service and sell on to put towards a new combo amp for the owner, rather large and has more dust inside than a full vacuum cleaner, it sounds pretty decent though.