Thanks R
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Colour or Mono ? 
  • Will go for colour I think
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    Doubt you'll get colour for that budget tbh. We've got a Brother mono and it's been very good, you might just get a mono all in one version for £80. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28392
    This was the cheapest a quick Google revealed - £120 on special offer. Otherwise you're looking at at least £200.

http://www.printerland.co.uk/Lexmark-CX310dn-P130654.aspx?source=Addwords28C0563&gclid=CMapzorS-NACFSuT7QodPOAAbQ

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4671
    edited December 2016
    thing with the cheaper on offer printers is you will get screwed  on the consumables 
    £210 for a full pack (1000 pages typical) of toners isn't horrific.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6158
    Be very very careful with colour lasers. Have had 2 before reverting back to mono.

The problem with colour lasers is that they can consume the CYM toner even when not printing in colour (it just gets wasted as part of the process). Worse still, if you want to print B+W pages, if any of CYM is empty, it will refuse to print at all. Some have cartridges that have 'smart-tech' built in that detect and disallow refilling.

Reverted to Samsung 2835 mono with wifi network and duplex and am very happy. £50-something after cash rebate.
  • Mono it is then!!!

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I'd never get a Laser for home use, way to expensive on toners
    axisus said:
    Cheaper per page than inkjet though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1960
    Sporky said:
    axisus said:
    Cheaper per page than inkjet though.
    Not necessarily.

There are plenty of HP models that are ink but aimed at business market so they have "high capacity ink" cartridges. These are cartridges "more expensive" to buy but have much lower running costs compared to standard home user ink. In fact thet pretty much match toner on a cost per page basis. Years ago, the models were called "Business Inkjet" no idea what current equivalent range is called.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
    My colour laser has been great. Just replaced the black toner cartridge after well over a year (the first one I've had to change) and the colour cartridges are still half full.
    Lasers have a significant advantage over inkjets for me - the inks don't run so I can print my own labels for my homebrew beer, plus I've made my own waterslide decals for guitars too.
    edited December 2016
    I had a quick look and some of them seem to be less per page than my colour laser (assuming it's measured the same way), but the printers themselves are about the same price as mine was, so you're spending the same amount to get inferior print quality.

However, looks like you're right about running costs. Have a wiz. :)
  • Ive owned many... my fave is and has been the Brother 3140 or equivalent...

Amazon sell them too.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    I have a Dell colour laser. It's such a joy to be able to turn the printer on and not have to thnk if it's been too long since I last used it and need to buy even more replacement cartridges to print out the odd page as the last lot of cartridges have dried up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    axisus said:
    We don't use our printer a lot. When we had an inkjet, the cartridges were forever drying out through lack of use. That works out to be long term expensive. A laser just works first time every time. And expensive? Err, nope. I just bought a couple of compatible toner cartridges from Amazon for ours. £18 for two. 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11599
    tFB Trader
    I have been through a whole load of printers . Hated all the inkjet ones (usually Epson) . spent more time and money getting the nozzles unclogged and used up ink like crazy in the process. Probably my fault as often I might go 4 days without doing a print.

Colour laser are way too expensive for reasons stated above
    We got an HP laser printer years ago and it has ben v good and Cartridge world do good compatible toner cartridges.
    Made the mistake of getting a cheaper toner off ebay  - damn thing leaked and left smudges onevery print 
    So I stick with CW for the replacements at half the price of HP

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24351
    As an officially "Brother Trained" engineer who spends half his time replacing fuser units, can I stress the dangers of using 'compatible' or refilled toner cartridges.  They are almost always filled with the cheapest shit possible that, when heated, breaks down and slowly destroys the fuser unit.  I've seen cheap toner completely knacker a brand new fuser inside a month.

They are a false economy.  The cartridge you get will have been refilled an unknown number of times already, the bushes could be knackered, it's far more likely to leak all over the place etc.  By all means try cheap drum units if you want - they'll either work fine or conk out prematurely, but they won't destroy your printer.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • The HP8620 we use at work is terrific.  Cheap as chips to run and never any issues.  My Canon at home, on the other hand, is crap.  Says there's no paper on 2 out of 3 jobs and comes with a load of bloatware which just clogs up your PC.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Sporky said:
    £210 for a full pack (1000 pages typical) of toners isn't horrific.
    21p per page without the paper taken into account?! That seems crazy.