Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

SRV Live at El Mocambo BEST live performance ever???

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I hate Queen, but awesome live performance, possibly one of the greatest frontmen ever !

SRV a showman yes, but it's all been done before him, good player yes, anything new ? Not really, it's just blues, only so much you can do with it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • oh my goodness!!!!! in terms of what he's playing maybe i could agree with you there but i think the way he attacks the guitar and his playing style is (was) completely unique 
    How very rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • oh my goodness!!!!! in terms of what he's playing maybe i could agree with you there but i think the way he attacks the guitar and his playing style is (was) completely unique 

Sorry if it offends, but I could never see his attraction as a player. The wild blues thing was done by Freddie King and Buddy Guy, the stage presence antics done by T bone Walker and Hendrix, great that he Stole from them all for one package ;)
  • Nah mate doesn't offend me at all. Opinions are great!
    How very rock and roll
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4703
    oh my goodness!!!!! in terms of what he's playing maybe i could agree with you there but i think the way he attacks the guitar and his playing style is (was) completely unique 

Sorry if it offends, but I could never see his attraction as a player. The wild blues thing was done by Freddie King and Buddy Guy, the stage presence antics done by T bone Walker and Hendrix, great that he Stole from them all for one package ;)
    I know SRV has probably stolen licks from all those guys, well definitely stolen licks from them, but he sounds absolutely nothing like any of them.  Literally nothing like them, tone wise. 

I used to think he was amazing when I was 18 and duly wore out my EL mocambo VHS, but he's not somebody I listen to know, like you say the blues has it's limitations and you move on.  But personally I'd only have to hear a few notes of him playing to know it was him, so he's obviously something different from the sum of the guitarists you listed.  He even started his own wannabe SRV movement and they all sound like him but none of them sound like Freddie King or Buddy Guy, so he can't have stolen everything.....

• JackGriffithsJackGriffiths Frets: 54
    edited February 2014
    The El Mocambo gig does have that 'thing' to it. I was a huge SRV nut for many years and still love everything I've ever heard him do. The best thing about SRV as a guitarist was his respect for the musicians he 'borrowed' from and it's no better summarised than in that performance, particularly the version of Lonnie Mack's 'Wham!' 

It's got both vibe and licks that will tear your head off!

EDIT: Just seen that this thread is a few days old - sorry, just browsing through!
  • I love the SRV live show.

Also amazing is Grace Potter and Satch - Cortez the killer. All the artists start looking surprised at their own rendition.

• vizviz Frets: 10699
    Love that bit at 33:00
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited February 2014

you could apply the same logic to about 99.9% of guitarists after about 1960,  its pretty much ALL been done before somewhere along the line
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    bertie said: you could apply the same logic to about 99.9% of guitarists after about 1960,  its pretty much ALL been done before somewhere along the line
    That's very true.

And SRV was just a poor man's Rory G.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • Also amazing is Grace Potter and Satch - Cortez the killer. All the artists start looking surprised at their own rendition.
    No way. That sounded to me like someone shredding in their bedroom over the top of an ok cover of Cortez. She's got a great voice, and the brass was good, but the guitar...

Here's what Cortez SHOULD sound like:

• Also amazing is Grace Potter and Satch - Cortez the killer. All the artists start looking surprised at their own rendition.
    No way. That sounded to me like someone shredding in their bedroom over the top of an ok cover of Cortez. She's got a great voice, and the brass was good, but the guitar...

Here's what Cortez SHOULD sound like:

Agreed.  Much better, and I thought the Satch version was great to start with.
  • Lixarto said:
    bertie said: you could apply the same logic to about 99.9% of guitarists after about 1960,  its pretty much ALL been done before somewhere along the line
    That's very true.

And SRV was just a poor man's Rory G.

Aaaah man I hope that was sarcasm!!! ;-) I'm also a HUGE Gallagher fan but I really don't think the two could be evenly compared. Two completely different players. Both brilliant thiugh
    How very rock and roll
  • is there an album/audio version of this, I'd like something to listen on my ipod at the moment and don't want to watch a video of it.
  • Not that I know off but can't you rip audio from YouTube vids? I really have no idea how you'd do it but I'm sure Google would help you?
    How very rock and roll
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 559
    I remember the first time I sat down with my mate Vic O'Mara and we both watched the El Mocambo video . . .  Some mate of Vic's ( a proper muso Jazz player ) handed the video over the night before and told him he was in for a treat . . . Vic did the polite thing and asked me over . . . The only things I knew about SRV at the time were that he'd worked with Bowie on Lets Dance and he'd died pretty recently after a performance in a helicopter crash . . .Vic pressed play on the VCR and we both sat there for the duration of video and said next to nothing  . . . we just stared at the television in awe . . . He was truly amazing and that particular El Mocambo video inspired me to play guitar again after almost giving up on it. Dont get me wrong,  I get the fact that everyone has an opinion and different artists inspire, amuse or annoy different people but I got it . . he definitely inspired me :-)

Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Each to his own. It's not the best performance I've seen or personally been at. But what I got from that DVD when I saw it was the sense of complete mastery over his guitar. Here was a bloke who I felt could say whatever he wanted through his guitar. I got a similar impression from seeing Richard Thompson live too.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    edited February 2014
    Skarloey;167990" said:
    But what I got from that DVD when I saw it was the sense of complete mastery over his guitar. Here was a bloke who I felt could say whatever he wanted through his guitar. I got a similar impression from seeing Richard Thompson live too.
    Beautifully put. Infact the more I think about what you've said, the more it probably defines for me those who I consider to be 'greats'.

I fully agree about RT. For me it would apply equally to David Gilmour, Andy Summers, Larry Carlton, Roy Buchanan and many others.