My house is now like an episode of Star Trek

What's Hot
Last week I got 2 Amazon Dot.  This week I got a load of Philips Hue and sensors.

I can now turn on the TV by command, lights come on when i walk to the hallway but self switches off after i am passed.  I can even dim it with a command.

Totally recommend it...if not for the price.
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
    Earl Grey. Hot.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Translate to woman. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @RaymondLin , welcome to the 21st Century.

Have you got Samsung Smarthings for your sensor setup?  I've found 'em horrifically unreliable.  I've had two motion sensors die on me and a multi purpose sensor go tits up.  I bought a Fibaro Motion sensor and that seems to be holding up.

Also, I've got Tasker triggering security applications in the house which is quite handy.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Alnico said:
    Funny story - the one thing that's stopping me getting one is that you can't yet control a PC in the way I want...

I want to control my PC music (in .flac, through a DAC into nice headphones) ... not through the nasty little speaker internally.

The Dot has an aux out, but without knowing the quality of the dac in it, that might not sound amazing... and it to my knowledge only streams music from online-land not from your PC.

When it can do that I'm getting one
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12364
    In years to come we'll remember the massive inconvenience of having to turn things on and off by hand.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    My house is like an episode of Star Trek, specifically the Trouble with Tribbles. 4 kids and 20 years of buying/receiving fluffy toys. It's beyond a joke.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:
    My house is like an episode of Star Trek, specifically the Trouble with Tribbles. 4 kids and 20 years of buying/receiving fluffy toys. It's beyond a joke.
    Photos or it didn't happen. 
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited December 2016
    @RaymondLin , have you started swearing at Alexa yet?  

@Myranda , annoyingly enough the Amazon Dot does not integrate with Sonos smoothly, if at all.  It's a nifty gadget, I bought one and was gifted another,  but i believe that Google Home may be where to look in the future.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Is it full of beautiful green dancing girls?
    I'm waiting for Google Home personally.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    @Myranda the DAC in the dot is crap, i have used it in my home cinema with a Sony Receiver, it doesn't sound as good as the same stream from Amazon Music through the Fire 4k.  I have then used it through Musical Fidelity amp and same thing, it reveals the short coming and where they have cut corners.

@handsome_chris I don't have Smartthings but i use the dot voice command to turn lights on/off. I have harmony so I can turn on my TV and turn up volume with the Dot, it's crap however the way it is integrated with Harmony.  
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    @RaymondLin , have you started swearing at Alexa yet?  

@Myranda , annoyingly enough the Amazon Dot does not integrate with Sonos smoothly, if at all.  It's a nifty gadget, I bought one and was gifted another,  but i believe that Google Home may be where to look in the future.
    @Myranda the DAC in the dot is crap, i have used it in my home cinema with a Sony Receiver, it doesn't sound as good as the same stream from Amazon Music through the Fire 4k.  I have then used it through Musical Fidelity amp and same thing, it reveals the short coming and where they have cut corners.

@handsome_chris I don't have Smartthings but i use the dot voice command to turn lights on/off. I have harmony so I can turn on my TV and turn up volume with the Dot, it's crap however the way it is integrated with Harmony.  
    All I need is for it to tell a windows PC to do something... ideally full integration so it would be able to choose tracks by voice but, I'd be happy for it to open *ANY* music app, then translate commands into keyboard short cuts i guess
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28389
    My house is a lot like an episode of Star Trek.

Don't turn up in a red jumper. Just sayin'.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:

He's not wrong.  I turned up for only a few minutes and nearly got wiped out by a savaging from a fuzzy beast.  
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Sporky said:

He's not wrong.  I turned up for only a few minutes and nearly got wiped out by a savaging from a fuzzy beast.  
    Better than being sexually assaulted by Sporty in a beige top and a corset 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    Just tried

"Alexa Beam me up" and "Alexa Warp 10". lol
  • This is the Internet of Things (IoT). I'm never going to put this stuff on my network without blocking the MAC address at router level. You have no idea what they're talking to outside your network.

How regularly is the firmware updated? If the manufacturer goes under who provides the security patches?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28389
    ennspek said:

Better than being sexually assaulted by Sporty in a beige top and a corset 
    That only happened once. Ish.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • I'll be waiting for at least the 3rd gen of all this shizzle. 

Also, I'm not actually sure I need anything it does.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires