Reverb tank question.

markjmarkj Frets: 914
Why do some amp manufacturers place the reverb tank in a pvc bag before mounting it inside the cabinet of a combo? And the same manufacturers on certain amps just attach the reverb directly to the wood on the inside the cab. What is the benefit of doing this? Is it to protect the tank?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1639

I am fairly sure the bag is an attempt to keep out the sound of the speaker and thus reduce the possibility of acoustic feedback?

Dave.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    Originally they always were, it's to protect the tank and reduce feedback as Dave said.

Later they found it wasn't always essential so they started reducing the cost by not using the bag.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• markjmarkj Frets: 914
    Got an upgraded tank coming for my blues deluxe, would you fit it with or without the bag?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    markj said:
    Got an upgraded tank coming for my blues deluxe, would you fit it with or without the bag?
    With. The bag is there anyway. Easier and better than doing it the other way.

The only faff with it is getting the two screws that hold the bag into the cabinet back in, through the holes in the bag and into the ones in the cabinet, without making new ones… quite a lot of people just leave them loose, which isn't a problem if you plan on always keeping the amp the right way up.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    The bag every time, as already said, plus as they are not mounted so rigidly, they are less prone to 'clanging' when knocked. Just remember to put the cardboard / plywood piece underneath, as it stops the folds of the bag touching the springs.