Poundland...the beginning of the end?

What's Hot
Horror of horrors. 

I went to Poundland today to see stuff that was priced at £5/10/30. Have they forgotten their own USP? 

They have just removed their uniqueness and joined the ranks of other low cost businesses competing in a very mature and crowded market. 

Their whole success is built upon a very distinct business model which they have now begun to dilute. 

I predict they will be in trouble in five years. 

Discuss? 
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6691
    Fiverland? Tennerland? Thirtyquidland? 

Doesn't quite have the same ring, does it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24371
    They have always sold items more expensive than £1.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm pretty sure they have as well. 

I drive past their main distribution warehouse sometimes and think ' my God there's a lot of crap in there.' 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • They have always sold items more expensive than £1.

No they haven't, Poundland was always where everything was £1 then they starting bringing in £2 items and 2 for £3 items. Now it's starting to go like Poundstretcher. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Suddenly they've become Stretchedpoundland in an attempt to compete with Poundstretcher and B&M etc...
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    Was it seasonal stuff or run of the mill stuff priced at more than £1?

I suppose it shows that it's a broad coalition of pricing and not a fascist price-imposition shop.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16725

No they haven't, Poundland was always where everything was £1 then they starting bringing in £2 items and 2 for £3 items. Now it's starting to go like Poundstretcher. 
    I am fairly sure they have had things priced over a pound for at least twenty years.

That's probably the last time I went in one. not because I objected to the prices, just because I prefer to buy batteries with a charge in them
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • To be fair to them, £1 doesn't go half as far today as it did when they started. 

Hardly a USP these days with all the 99p stores and whatnot as well.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • richhrichh Frets: 451
    They'll have to change their name then?  Outrageous.  At this rate GuitarGuitar will be selling basses, totally unacceptable.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just reading some stuff about them online. Interesting when you google this as news sites like to run 'Poundland sell items for more than £1!' stories quite frequently. However, they've clearly been doing it for a few years at least even if you can find it reported as a news story in the last few months.

The everything £1 ethos was part of the original branding so I guess, despite what I said above, that's what they did originally at least.

I'm pretty sure they have as well. 

I drive past their main distribution warehouse sometimes and think ' my God there's a lot of crap in there.' 

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038

And much of it comes from one place in China.  Interesting podcast on the whole phenomenon:
    99% Invisible, "Inside the world's biggest wholesale market"

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Brexit behaviour 
  • Most pound shops do it as well. 

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• I occasionally wonder when looking at something like a surfing Santa made in China what the hell the people making it think it is.

Grunfeld said:

And much of it comes from one place in China.  Interesting podcast on the whole phenomenon:
    99% Invisible, "Inside the world's biggest wholesale market"

• To be fair to them, £1 doesn't go half as far today as it did when they started. 

I don't know looking at some of the tat they sell I reckon some of the stuff at cost is will be cheaper than 10-20 years ago.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24812
    edited December 2016
    This is almost as distressing for me as when I found out that frozen food wasn't really made from bird's eyes....
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My special power is that I can go around Poundland and fill my basket with stuff you can buy in other shops for 65p.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • My special power is that I can go around Poundland and fill my basket with stuff you can buy in other shops for 65p.
    Yep that happens a fair bit now, 70p in B&M or Home Bargains £1 in Poundland/Poundworld
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Brexitland!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    I know that Poundland have terrible problems in areas where there's a 99p shop as well. Every day the 99p shop staff walk past Poundland waving bags of 1p coins yelling "you're being overcharged".
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom