Why are there so many flights...

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24351
...between the UK and the Middle East ?  If you look at www.Flightradar24.com it's incredible.  The traffic between the UK and places like Dubai, Bahrain, UAE etc is constant.  It rivals transatlantic traffic.  What's that all about then ?
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
I'm personally responsible for all global warming
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    At a guess, lots of people going on holiday or working there? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Connecting flights to the Far East go though there quite a lot nowadays, roughly a mid point stop off. 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4920
    Connecting flights to the Far East go though there quite a lot nowadays, roughly a mid point stop off. 
    ^^ This.

My daughter has just moved to New Zealand, her flight had connections at Dubai and Sydney.

Heathrow - Dubai was booked as a Qantas flight, but was serviced by Emirates.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3909
    edited December 2016
    A vast percentage of the people I've ever worked with now work over there. It's big bucks and obviously tax free so a major attraction.
  • Combination of connecting flights, expats living here, and a lot of people flying between Europe and the ME for short-term work.

Between Emirates, Etihad and Qatar there's been a huge push to make the Middle East the primary transport hub between east and west

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24351
    Doh !  I never thought about the connecting flights !  Thanks chaps.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415

Between Emirates, Etihad and Qatar there's been a huge push to make the Middle East the primary transport hub between east and west
    Which is another reason there's no point in expanding Heathrow.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11927
    A lot of Indians travelling to and from home make connections there too 
    Deadman said:
    A vast percentage of the people I've ever worked with now work over there. It's big bucks and obviously tax free so a major attraction.
    I've never seen any work advertised  at  or above London rates.
    OK it's tax-free if you stay there all year, but  it's not big bucks is it?
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6158
    It's down to the Gulf state governments wanting to create worldwide brands. Build a huge airport way beyond the actual local demand, subsidise huge and posh airline fleets, control the rights to slots, codeshare the routes with prestige airlines, build the brand and then take it further (footie stadiums, T-shirts, etc).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LoFiLoFi Frets: 534
    Deadman said:
    Really? I've been offered work there (IT consultancy) well over UK/London rates (even after allowing for the tax benefits), and a friend of mine has just moved there to work in finance at twice what she was earning in London (so over 3x by the time you factor in the tax).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    There's no amount of money you could pay me to work out there 
    LoFi said:
    Deadman said:
    Really? I've been offered work there (IT consultancy) well over UK/London rates (even after allowing for the tax benefits), and a friend of mine has just moved there to work in finance at twice what she was earning in London (so over 3x by the time you factor in the tax).
    I was asked by a very keen agent to quote  for  some IT work there (stuff where I had exactly done the same project here already),I started with  London rates and added 50%. No  reply.
    I saw it advertised  a day later at  Northern England rates
    I know that airline pilots there get no more than  UK ones
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Its simple  the grass is always greener.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27108
    edited December 2016
    My wife and I are based in a Abu Dhabi. We both get roughly the same as in the U.K. But for 2 higher rate taxpayers together, that saves a lot of money after tax. For us it has meant we can save that money for a house deposit which we wouldn't have stood a chance of doing in London.

It's a nice place to live day to day, and the location combined with the airport hub thing makes it great jumping-off point for seeing a good chunk of the world. I've visited more countries in the last 3 years than I had in my entire life before that- in the last year and a bit we've been to India twice, Japan, Italy, Ukraine and we'all be in Egypt in March. Not to mention Oman and Kuwait for work (less fun but good "stuff to tell the grandkids" stuff). We simply couldn't have done that from the UK.

We have a flat we love within a 10 minute commute of work. That's all but impossible in London.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6158
    How do you put up with the constant racism?