NDMJWD

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17681
edited December 2016 in Amps tFB Trader
New Double MJW Day that is.

I've been after an MJW for a while and thought that would be a remote possibility as @martinw ;book is full and then he's taking an undetermined break from amp making.

As a result I was delighted when Martin offered a Roadstar Reverb 18 1x12 with power scaling at a knockdown price, but I dithered and it sold.

Luckily a day or so after a 5w Goldstar popped up at a good price and I snagged it. This is an interesting amp as it has a JCM800 preamp and a 1x10 Greenback making it a miniature rock monster. 

A couple of days after I got the Goldstar I managed to convince the new owner of the Roadstar to sell it to me so I've ended up with two of the blighters. 

I must say they totally live up to the hype.

The Goldstar is great fun. It starts off quite bright and tweedy and then gets more Marshall like as you crank it. It can get quite filthy, but the power scaling means you can have totally bananas amp on fire tones you can talk over. I've tried it into a big 2x12 and it get really fun.

The Roadstar is just brilliant. It starts off with a nice warm clean and from then morphs into probably the best classic rock sound I've ever had. The digital reverb is also surprisingly good. I'm starting to come to the conclusion that I actually prefer digital reverb to spring in most instances. The boost lets you kick in some pretty epic plexi tones. I was initially playing it with my DGT, but I tried it with my Strat today which blew my mind as it absolutely loves it.

I've been running the pair of them in stereo via an Obscura and it's pretty magical. Unfortunately I can't really afford to keep both so one of them is going to end up back on the classifieds. It will probably end up being the Goldstar as though I'm not in a band anymore I like keeping something around that's potentially giggable.

If you get a chance to try or buy an MJW do it, they are superb amps. If Martin starts building again I'd love to commission something off him, maybe a V6-20, or an Electra.
0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments