My latest eBay discovery - better rights than the DSR / CCR

What's Hot
Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
edited December 2016 in Off Topic
I sold a pedal recently on eBay, and after a week or so the buyer obviously decided he didn't like it so raised an 'Item defective' case.  I had no option but to pay for return shipping and offer a full refund, including outward shipping. When the item was returned I checked it over and of course there was no defect - it works perfectly. I contacted eBay and they say ' we can't prove the item you now have is the one the buyer returned as faulty, therefore we are siding with the buyer'. That's even with me specifically taking a video of opening the returned parcel and plugging it in straight away to demonstrate it working. 

If you want to buy-to-try it's now better as a buyer to use eBay, as with most shops under DSR / CCR you are responsible for (at least) return shipping, and possibly outbound too. Not only that, but a shop has the ability to claim you've returned something in a poor state and withhold part of the refund. With eBay's policy, the seller is responsible for shipping both directions and you have no control of what is refunded. 

Not only that, but if you protest about buyer abuse of the eBay money back guarantee, eBay will instantly refund the buyer directly then charge you for the refund, thereby meaning that you can't issue the refund yourself and thereby claim your Paypal fees back, so not only will you be out shipping both ways, but you'll also have to effectively pay Paypal fees twice. You can't not offer Paypal these days either. If you're lucky eBay will refund your final value fee of 10% of the sale and shipping price. 

Obviously none of this is particularly 'new news' but it's been an eye opener for me, as I've never had a similar situation occur. I can't imagine ever selling anything of value (or indeed anything) on eBay unless you're doing such massive volumes you can write off that kind of percentage as a cost of doing business.

I won't name and shame the arsehole buyer but if you're interested in bolstering your blocked bidder list drop me a PM
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• This is why I generally sell stuff on forums and Facebook instead; eBay has become far too seller-hostile in recent years.

Sucks that you got stung by one of the b'stard buyers, though :(
    <space for hire>
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    edited December 2016
    Yeah. Fortunately the total loss is only 20-30 quid, imagine if it was a guitar or amp...

The buyer could have shipped me back a brick and i'd still have had to refund them.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    edited December 2016
    That stinks. It really is an absurd situation on ebay, I keep getting emails from them to set up a sellers account but I read too many things like this happening so I'll pass thank you.
    There are just too many deadbeats abusing the system for me to ever sell on ebay.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4178
    https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/dec/19/2016-awards-worst-customer-service

Check near the bottom of the article.  Seems you're not alone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4550
    Sorry to hear that moe. I only ever buy off eBay and sell here, gumtree or facebook. Never had a problem with either so far
  • That's my plan now too Des :)
  • After eBay failed to provide the promised final value fee credit, I had to phone customer services again. This time they told me they would provide a credit as 'a one-off courtesy'. 

Thats rather than as a minimal duty to sellers when they habitually side with buyers even where they are abusing the system. Good old eBay :)
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7790
    I gave up selling on eBay a long time ago, and nothing I've heard since would encourage me to start again.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    edited January 2017
    Most recent update - eBay have decided to refund themselves for the same transaction 6 weeks after I refunded it originally...
    eBay: "we didn't take any money"
    PayPal: "eBay have taken £165 from your account today and refunded the same transaction twice. I wonder why they did that. Here's the reference".
    eBay: "Maybe we did take some money. We're not sure. Send us a screenshot of your PayPal account. We might get it sorted tomorrow".

They really are absolutely, completely useless.

• It's happened once to me. The buyer gave me a load of guff about the pedal being less than optimum in terms of sound. When it came back, it was completely fine. Sadly the guy gave me the "I'm a professional guitarist" spiel beforehand so I was more than happy to suggest that he actually learn how to use equipment as an amateur like me had more ability than he did, and therefore his professionalism was called into question.