Ibanez TS808DX

What's Hot
OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
edited December 2016 in FX
Hi, new round here . I have searched for an existing thread, but couldn't find one.

Does anyone have any experience of the 808DX? I'm interested in a OD pedal with a boost button and like the TS sound (although I only have one of them cheapo Joyo ones at the moment) and the DX caught my eye. Any opinions?

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    No one? Does anyone have any recommendations for overdrive pedals with an additional boost function in the sub £200 range?

Cheers
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1761

Buy a TS Mini and a Boss SD-1 (to use as the boost).

Ok it's two pedals instead of one but I really do find using an SD-1 as a boost for my other drives is the perfect solution

• TRex Moller. You're welcome!
    How very rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gubble said:

Ok it's two pedals instead of one but I really do find using an SD-1 as a boost for my other drives is the perfect solution

To be fair this is also a great solution but I wouldn't go with the SD1. Although I love that pedal when you team it with another TS Type it can be too honky. I'd be more tempted to go for a straight line booster like the old EH LPB, MXR micro amp or an EP booster. 

OR JUST GRAB A MOLLER!!!
    How very rock and roll

TRex Moller. You're welcome!

Cheers guys, those both look interesting.

I understand that the TRex Moller has an independent boost which could be v handy. @builttospill - does the Fulltone boost work independently?

Cheers
    gubble said:

I'm actually using two pedals at the moment, a Joyo Vintage OD (TS clone) and Joyo Sweet Honey as the boost. I like the sounds I get, but they can be a bit noisy together and an all in one would be easier for gigging + I can't stop buying pedals :3
  • what amp you using, pickups ie singles / HB's and whats your flavour of tone ; do you want boost independent with an eq section of its own ?
  • I have a moller, at the mo it's my only pedal for gigging with. My last gig is NYE and although I wouldn't want to sell it I guess I would happily lend it on if you wanted to try before you buy?

If you fancy it drop me a pm after NYE and I'll send it down as a loaner
    How very rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    JMP220478 said:
    what amp you using, pickups ie singles / HB's and whats your flavour of tone ; do you want boost independent with an eq section of its own ?
    Hi, I either use a Hot Rod Deville 2X12 or a Bassbreaker 007 depending on the gig with a Strat/vintage output single coils or a Jazzmaster with P90s. I mainly go from clean tones, to a bit of break-up, to medium OD so independent boost gives me more flexibility. I guess OD sounds ranging from valves just breaking through to mid boost of a Tubescreamer are my ball park - I know, not many Strat players go those sounds ;)
    I have a moller, at the mo it's my only pedal for gigging with. My last gig is NYE and although I wouldn't want to sell it I guess I would happily lend it on if you wanted to try before you buy?

Wow that's a very kind offer, i'll bear that in mind! You sound rather definite about no more gigging, had enough of it?
  • Octafish said:
    I have a moller, at the mo it's my only pedal for gigging with. My last gig is NYE and although I wouldn't want to sell it I guess I would happily lend it on if you wanted to try before you buy?

Wow that's a very kind offer, i'll bear that in mind! You sound rather definite about no more gigging, had enough of it?
    Haha yeah I've had my fill of it. Never say never obviously but as it stands at the moment I'm taking early retirement! ;-)
    How very rock and roll
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2378
    gubble said:

To be fair this is also a great solution but I wouldn't go with the SD1. Although I love that pedal when you team it with another TS Type it can be too honky. I'd be more tempted to go for a straight line booster like the old EH LPB, MXR micro amp or an EP booster.
    That's what I'd have thought- I like both the SD1 and tubescreamer-style overdrives, but I'd never really use them both together for that reason.

A flatter mids overdrive is another possibility (and often gives the ability to sculpt the tone a bit more than a boost- I might want a flatter response than a TS but the ability to cut the low end is still often pretty useful)- something like a timmy, soul food or something like that.
    Octafish said:
    gubble said:

I'm actually using two pedals at the moment, a Joyo Vintage OD (TS clone) and Joyo Sweet Honey as the boost. I like the sounds I get, but they can be a bit noisy together and an all in one would be easier for gigging + I can't stop buying pedals :3
    you know that's probably a pretty decent combo. aside from the possibly questionable reliability of the joyos (mine have been fine, but i've heard some complaints) there's no guarantee that what you buy, even if you spend a lot more, will sound all that much better...
  • Octafish said:

I understand that the TRex Moller has an independent boost which could be v handy. @builttospill - does the Fulltone boost work independently?

Cheers
    Hi Octafish, I don't think you can run the boost independently from the OD on the Fulltone, can anyone else confirm this?
    Another OD I have yet to try but has independent OD/Boost is the Diamond J-Drive MK3  
  • Octafish said:

Cheers
    Hi Octafish, I don't think you can run the boost independently from the OD on the Fulltone, can anyone confirm this?
    Another OD I've yet to try is the Diamond J-Drive MK3 it has an independent clean boost which is supposed to be really nice.
  • Octafish said:

Cheers
    Hi Octafish, I don't think you can run the boost independently from the OD on the Fulltone, can anyone else confirm this?
    Another OD I have yet to try but has independent OD/Boost is the Diamond J-Drive MK3  
  • Octafish said:

Cheers
    Hi Octafish, I don't think you can run the boost independently from the OD on the Fulltone, can anyone confirm this?
    Another OD I've yet to try is the Diamond J-Drive MK3 it has an independent clean boost which is supposed to be really nice.
    builttospill said:Cheers

Hi, I'll have to check out the Diamond J-Drive, cheers.
    Dave_Mc said:

Octafish said:
    gubble said:

you know that's probably a pretty decent combo. aside from the possibly questionable reliability of the joyos (mine have been fine, but i've heard some complaints) there's no guarantee that what you buy, even if you spend a lot more, will sound all that much better...
    Yep they do sound good and just got my Danelectro Transparent OD hooked up again and that's sounding great as a slighty dirty boost. I've got 5 Joyo/Rocktronics pedals and not had any problems with any of them (have gigged Vintage OD and Sweet Baby a lot) although have heard a few complaints of faulty pedals. Anyway, I've just blown my money on a Digitech Polara reverb pedal so I'll make do for now.