Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Guest Rapper Killed The Guitar Solo

What's Hot

Comments

• Bucket said:
    Friendly reminder that Nuno Bettencourt still exists.

Whammying it up at 3:50:

I know Nuno plays with her live,but wasn't it Alex Delicata who played it on the recorded version?
    Doesn't sound like Nuno on the record. 

I do think it's cool that he has a gig with her live band, but I still think her music sucks.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    A lot of guitar solos are wanky guff anyway so it doesn't bother me too much! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11599
    tFB Trader
    Holidaying in Greece last summer and hearing their songs on the radios playing and you had some good tasty guitar breaks .
    I think that there were a lot of great lead breaks from some of the studio players like Luke and Carlton, Dann Huff and Sean Baxter etc etc in the 70s and 80s, and lots of bands had some great players who played for the song.
    Sure there is a lot of wank too but some exquisite breaks also.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• I remember a time when it seemed like Betty Boo (amongst others) seemed to guest on every song on Top of the Pops for months.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5159
    edited December 2016

I think that there were a lot of great lead breaks from some of the studio players like Luke and Carlton, Dann Huff and Sean Baxter etc etc in the 70s and 80s,
    What did Shaun Baxter play on that I might have heard of? "Jazz Metal" Shaun Baxter, right?

• I'm serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    I'm serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer 

I think someone's written new lyrics to that:

http://d1i6tehnj672py.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/muslim-rape-epidemic.jpg

tFB Trader

I think that there were a lot of great lead breaks from some of the studio players like Luke and Carlton, Dann Huff and Sean Baxter etc etc in the 70s and 80s,
    What did Shaun Baxter play on that I might have heard of? "Jazz Metal" Shaun Baxter, right?
    Duh - I meant Jeff Baxter....both had a skunk stripe!

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

@English_bob Very little, sadly. He's not really known as a sessioneer, more as an educator. @FelineGuitars might mean Jeff "Skunk" Baxter.

• DLM said:

@English_bob Very little, sadly. He's not really known as a sessioneer, more as an educator. 

That's what I thought, which is why I asked.

I don't doubt that the guy has the chops, and if you can teach you very likely have the patience to deal with producers asking you to play "more purple" so I wouldn't have been surprised if it turned out he'd done some session work.

Oh, he has done. Just not on the same level as those other three guys, who were first-call sessioneers for major pop productions that sold like crazy. His bio is on his site: http://www.shaunbaxter.com/

• I think that there were a lot of great lead breaks from some of the studio players like Luke and Carlton, Dann Huff and Jeff Baxter etc etc in the 70s and 80s, and lots of bands had some great players who played for the song.

Oddly, there seems to be a move recently towards interest in this kind of session player- the fact that Pete Thorn and Tim Pierce can have a popular show on Youtube that features them, or that the "No Guitar Is Safe" podcast is popular says something. 

I guess it's also because old fashioned guitar heroes aren't really around any more, and those that are are getting older, fatter and wrinklier by the day. Except Nuno.

• Not much love for guitar solos on this thread. Are you sure you guys are on the right forum? 

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

tFB Trader
    No - they prefer the rappers with all the ice and da Ho's

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    I'm serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer 

That line was classic example of rap as a pointless want guitar solos equivalent. Taking someone else's ideas and making them pointless nonsense

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    mellowsun said:
    The tragedy is that rap in the RunDMC and Public Enemy days was brilliant and thrilling.

Now it is the musical equivalent of mindless graffiti 'tags'. The rhythm might be good but the content is execrable.

This is a really weird comment. Its like saying "there are no good guitar players in 2016" or "there are no good jazz musicians anymore". Why on earth would you make a generalisation on this scale? Bizarre.  

Yep, maybe it is an overgeneralisation, but rap did used to have a point and be political. Now it's much more about self-aggrandising. Perhaps that's valid in itself. Just not my thing any more.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    Rap was always about self aggrandising. That was a big part of its roots via sound clash culture. 

Might be worth checking out people like Akala (fire in the booth videos on YouTube are incredible),  Afro and Run The Jewels 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Pink still likes guitar solos.

3:20.

Fuuuuuuuuucking mindblowing. I love this dude.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • mellowsun said:
    mellowsun said:
    The tragedy is that rap in the RunDMC and Public Enemy days was brilliant and thrilling.

Now it is the musical equivalent of mindless graffiti 'tags'. The rhythm might be good but the content is execrable.

This is a really weird comment. Its like saying "there are no good guitar players in 2016" or "there are no good jazz musicians anymore". Why on earth would you make a generalisation on this scale? Bizarre.  

Yep, maybe it is an overgeneralisation, but rap did used to have a point and be political. Now it's much more about self-aggrandising. Perhaps that's valid in itself. Just not my thing any more.

There's always been both kinds (actually, before "The Message" there was really only the self aggrandising kind). Pretty much all Run-DMC's big hits- shit, pretty much all of rap's big hits- are little more than self-aggrandizement, and I wonder whether part of what was so thrilling about it was that it was so unlike anything rock fans had heard before at the time.

On a technical level- rhythms, rhyme schemes, breath control, speed, vocabulary- a Nicki Minaj guest verse on some idiotic pop song is likely far beyond anything you'd hear on a Run-DMC record too. Good rap is every bit as brilliant and thrilling now as it was in the eighties, but judging the state of any genre by whatever turds float to the top of the septic tank that is the top 40 is stupid. By that token, Bon Jovi were the apotheosis of eighties rock, right?

So yeah, there's still rap music that has a point and is political (of course, you could make a half-decent argument that a self-aggrandising rap about being successful and respected while still remaining true to your cultural heritage as a black American is political), and there's mindless bullshit about jewellery and slags.

Which kind gets used in pop songs? Well duh.

And if having a point and being political is what's important and self-aggrandising isn't, then surely guest raps are better than guitar solos anyway? It's much harder to make a political point- much less one you can expect people to understand- with a guitar.

• mellowsun said:
    mellowsun said:

Bon Jovi were the apotheosis of eighties rock, right?

Yes. Absolutely. and they pretty much carried the early 90's.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom