Black star IDcore

What's Hot
Any experiences of these, I have some Amazon vouchers to use and can't think of an but a small practice amp that has headphones socket and an aux in for some private jamming are they any good!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• There's been a fair bit of discussion about these on here.  I've got an ID Core 10 and I think it's an excellent practice amp.  It's fairly small, sounds good IMO, the stereo effects are nice and the line in is useful if you want to play along with backing tracks.  Slight cons are a bit of hiss (doesn't bother me but some people are really annoyed by it), obviously small speakers that sound bad if you turn it up loud (but that's not what it's for) and no volume control for the line in (so you need to use the volume on the source device).  But overall I'm very happy with it.  There's a Mk2 version out now (mine's an original one) but I don't think they've changed much apart from adding an extra effect or two.
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    edited December 2016
    Ive had an ID:Core 20 since August and love it.

I got it as my HT-5210 was a bit loud for the flat, the core is still pretty loud but has the bonus of sounding good at low volumes. Easily my best purchase of 2016 as Ive played more guitar because of it.

Ive also just picked up the footswitch for it so I can toggle a couple of channels etc.(10 doesnt take a footswitch though)

• annoying thing is its on amazom for £99, ideal as i have about £60 in vouchers, but CODA have got them for £85.
    annoying thing is its on amazom for £99, ideal as i have about £60 in vouchers, but CODA have got them for £85.
    All the more reason to go for the more expensive one ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • as its really a practise amp, even the more expensive one isnt up to gigging i really just want the id 20.
    20 is worth the extra just for the bigger speakers and the footswitch option IMO

• d8m said:
    20 is worth the extra just for the bigger speakers and the footswitch option IMO
    I reckon that's a fair comment.  The speakers in the 10 are very small (3" I think), and although they sound excellent at sensible home practice volume they do get harsh if you turn it up a bit louder (and even the 10 gets pretty loud).

The foot switch isn't really something I miss, but worth bearing in mind if you think you'd want it (i.e. don't get the Core10 if you need a foot switch).  I'd forgotten about that when I posted earlier.

I quite fancied a Yamaha THR10, but at a third of the price the Blackstar was a no-brainer for me.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    edited December 2016
    One of those orange terror head thingies is £100 on Amazon. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • nick_snick_s Frets: 138
    I'm a Blackstar owner (S1 45) and a member of their forum.  All I ever see about the ID core line is complaints that software updates basically fubar the amp.  Thought I'd mention it.
    - Shine On You Crazy Diamond -
  • One of those orange terror head thingies is £100 on Amazon. 
    already got a micro terror, its my gigging emergency backup.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4136
    edited December 2016
    I've got an ID Core 20. Fantastic sounding little thing. Have given it to my 9yo now, but do steal it back occasionally while he's at school.

Also I've updated it every time there's new firmware. Never had a single problem.

• nick_s said:
    I'm a Blackstar owner (S1 45) and a member of their forum.  All I ever see about the ID core line is complaints that software updates basically fubar the amp.  Thought I'd mention it.
    Updates have always gone smoothly on mine.  I think it's just that people who are unlucky/pull the wire out half way through the update/have a power failure or whatever are the ones who tend to post.  People don't post on forums to say nothing went wrong.
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    I've had one a couple of weeks for late night practice. It's the best tool for that I've ever had and I've had a THR, iPad with Bias etc. 
    I LOVE the stereo effects. 

I've got the 20 V2, mainly for the footswitch but having compared it vs my mates 10 V1, I'd say that unless you want the footswitch option, get a V1 10.... There's really not much in it sound wise between the versions or the speakers. 

Absolutely cracking amps though, whatever you go for! 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17626
    tFB Trader
    I've got an ID:Core 20. It's a great little thing for the money. 

I've a\bed it with the Yamaha thr and much preferred the blackstar.
  • I've got an ID:Core 20. It's a great little thing for the money. 

I've a\bed it with the Yamaha thr and much preferred the blackstar.

I had the same experience. Nothing wrong with the yamaha but the id core 20 sounded better to me. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2900
    I thought the THR sounds better than the ID Core 10 v2, but neither were amazing. For low volume practice I think the Fly 3 is better at least for my tastes.
  • tbh im not sure whether i really need any of them, i was just desperate to spend some amazon vouchers i had but think il hold off see if anything else i need/want. i already have a cub 12, micro terror and a zoom g3 for my practise needs.