Ouch: Cut the tip of my finger off!

What's Hot
Yep,  I managed to cut clean off the very tip of my little finger on my left (fretting) hand last night.  The tip of it is now flat and looks like the end of a stick of rock but with the colours inverted. Shit... I'm just hoping that the skin grows over the end of it so that I can use it for fretting again because l use it all the time when playing.   Strange thing is that it didn't hurt that much, but it was a very sharp knife. The kitchen though, looked like a scene from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Hells bells, what's one to do?
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    Fuck!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yep, did exactly the same thing to my left thumb a few weeks ago. Didn't hurt at the time, took about 30 seconds for it to register...and it didn't stop bleeding for over half an hour.
    <space for hire>
  • Call Tony Iommi for reconstructive surgery advice
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited December 2016
    I did the top of my fretting hand thumb earlier this year, chopping carrots with very sharp knife. 

Bled for ages, wore a protective sleeve over the dressing when doing stuff and changed the dressing every day, it soon started to scab and heal, new skin formed underneath.

It'll heal, takes a couple of weeks or more though.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6139
    Call Tony Iommi for reconstructive surgery advice
    Ha ha.. I was Just thinking about that very solution on the way into work @Travisthedog.

Thanks for the advice @RandallFlagg, I was looking at some not so pretty web sites about finger injuries and they seemed to reckon about seven week for complete healing for this sort of injury. I'm going to have to adopt the Eric Clapton  three-finger method of the Christmas break :'(
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    A few of us have done that. Don't fret (ha ha!!), it will heal up. Really hurts though. When I did it, it wouldn't stop bleeding. So,I put some liquid skin on it. Oh boy, now that hurt some.
  • Turmeric will speed the healing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
    I took the end off my left index finger on a vertical sander in Woodwork at school. I had a 45 degree flat tip for a couple of years and lost my fingerprint but over time it's softened up and filled out. Most of the nerve endings have grown back too.
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    equalsql said:

I'm going to have to adopt the Eric Clapton  three-finger method

Ooo-er!

Or stretch your technique with the Sid Vicious Two Fingered Method

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    The likelihood of the knife slipping is directly proportional to how long ago and how well you sharpened it.
  • Ouch! 
    hope it gets better soon. 
    I've just bought some new kitchen knives (Japanese very expensive) and I'm crapping myself that this might happen 
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Ouch! 
    hope it gets better soon. 
    I've just bought some new kitchen knives (Japanese very expensive) and I'm crapping myself that this might happen 
    It will. Go and hit them on the garden wall  a few times to take the edge off.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Pics or it didn't happen. 

(all the best on a speedy recovery!) 
    hywelg said:
    The likelihood of the knife slipping is directly proportional to how long ago and how well you sharpened it.
    I had just sharpened it.. like a bloody razor it was. Chef's always say that a sharp knife is safer because it cuts accurately and doesn't slip.. I'm not so sure, but I think I'll be investing a chainmale glove in future.

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
    A sharp knife is a safe knife! Or something...
    Snap said:
    A few of us have done that. Don't fret (ha ha!!), it will heal up. Really hurts though. When I did it, it wouldn't stop bleeding. So,I put some liquid skin on it. Oh boy, now that hurt some.
    I always reckoned the person who invented liquid skin was a sadist. The biggest understatement I've ever read on the bottle of one of those product is 'there might be a slight sting'.  The first time I ever tried it on a wound I almost howled with the pain, like putting Iodine on it.

joeyowen said:

I've got a clean dressing on it at the moment.. but I'll take a snapshot this evening when I replace it.
    That's if any of you have the stomach for it :s
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    equalsql said:
    joeyowen said:

I've got a clean dressing on it at the moment.. but I'll take a snapshot this evening when I replace it.
    That's if any of you have the stomach for it :s

Google for "neodymium magnet finger injuries" if you want some real gore... :)
  • equalsql said:
    Call Tony Iommi for reconstructive surgery advice
    Ha ha.. I was Just thinking about that very solution on the way into work @Travisthedog.

Thanks for the advice @RandallFlagg, I was looking at some not so pretty web sites about finger injuries and they seemed to reckon about seven week for complete healing for this sort of injury. I'm going to have to adopt the Eric Clapton  three-finger method of the Christmas break :'(
    Is that 2 in the pink 1 in the stink?  :o

• nick_snick_s Frets: 138
    Ouch!  If Iommi and Reindhart can get by after a while, you'll be grand old chap :)
    - Shine On You Crazy Diamond -