JCM900 combos any good?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    @ICBM & @Voxman I would be using boost/of/ pedals in front as a matter of course. 

JCM800 4010 is the one to go for given the choice? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72392
    rico said:

For me the 4104 50W 2x12" sounds better, but it's a lot bigger and heavier. The 4010 benefits from a speaker upgrade though, unless it's one of the very early ones with a G12-65.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rico said:
    @ICBM & @Voxman I would be using boost/of/ pedals in front as a matter of course. 

Totally depends on what you want it for, it's Angus in a box, but if like me you want a smidge more versatility then you can find better amps elsewhere.
    takes pedals like a champ tho. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    I had a duel reverb 2x12 combo which was ok, preferred the Peavey classic 50 I got after it though....
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    They are ok and will do a job as a useable amp but unless you're in a rush I'd try it and compare to other amps.      
     If you put a previous model Marshall next to one then they sound pretty average imo.  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72392
    I'll be honest and say I do quite like the little Dual Reverb 1x12" combos, especially the 100W one, because they have a specific purpose and there's no other near equivalent*. They don't have that big open roar of the old models through a big cabinet, but for getting an almost cartoon-like 'Marshall sound' in a very small package they're ideal.

(*Apart from the 6101 30th Anniversary model, but that's overly complex, notoriously unreliable and doesn't have reverb.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein