VHT Special 12/20 - anyone played one?

jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 755
So I'm a massive fan of my Special 6 - I can't understand why anyone would want anything else as a Fender-y 5-watter. Essentially I want something similar that's giggable (I've gigged the 6 at small venues with a mic). The 12/20 fits the bill on paper and the RT version really peaks my interest however I've never seen one here, new or used. Anyone played/got one? Are they worth hanging about for or am I best looking for something Fender-flavoured from another manufacturer? Cheers all!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    edited December 2016
    I had one for a bit but sent it back.

These amps are known for being prone to a noise issue and the one I had was noisy enough to put me off.

Shame as this amp is loaded with awesome features, the reverb+trem clean tone had so much mojo it was crazy and driving the 6V6's using power scaling brought gorgeous tones.

If not for the noise issue I'd still have it.  I was tempted to keep it and have a tech look at it but in the end was easier to just send it back.

Id got it for about £300 i think: not very well known amps so they go cheap.
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1445
    I did, similar experience to the above.  It's a decent sounding amp with shoddy reliability.  I'll see if I can dig out my post about it.
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    I think that there's a bargain to be had if you already know an amp tech who can fix this kind of thing and already have some tubes to roll in it (as they can be responsible for the noise also).

Otherwise, forget cutting corners and just get a used Princeton/DRRI.
  • Thanks for the input so far guys - I'm leaning away from it to be honest - such a shame about reliability since my 6 has been bulletproof. 

mixolyd said:
    Otherwise, forget cutting corners and just get a used Princeton/DRRI.
    Yes I was thinking 'mesa' since I've had a mixed bag of Fender ri amps in the past, and I haven't had an amp with a dirty channel for years!