can anyone recommend a physical shop in london that sells tubes

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• apologies
    Lighten up, man :) In this place, on-topic stuff is just about the only thing that's taken seriously...especially when money's concerned.

Besides...trust me, you'll know when you're being mocked :D
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    There's not a lot of nastiness on this forum - especially in the ON topic areas. Thankfully.  Lots of good natured joshing, though. No offence intended, mate!  :)
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11905
    I thought them  'muricans called them Toobs?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    edited December 2016 tFB Trader
    This thread gets a Wow from me....
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    US calls them tubes, UK calls them valves, a 12AX7 in the US is an ECC83 in the UK.  All terribly confusing...I prefer their proper technical description of  "little glass thingies with bits of metal sticking out from them that (usually) get hot and glow when plugged in".  But not everyone on here is as clever and technical as wot I is!  D
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • winter_reverbwinter_reverb Frets: 39
    edited December 2016
    Edit: as below 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • winter_reverbwinter_reverb Frets: 39
    edited December 2016
    edit: old post only just got approved, guess I was flagged or something, no longer relevant so I deleted it
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2166
    Yeah. We know all the swear words around here, so you'll definitely know if some bro has beef. 
  • Some of the differences between American English and British English can be interesting. We Brits often name something according to what it does, Americans often name it for what it is. It is a vacuum tube, but what it does is act as a thermionic valve. 

But in the UK, you can't "get" a coffee. Not in a cafe, anyway - that's the job of the staff.  :)

Just sayin'...  
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30926

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited December 2016
    Some of the differences between American English and British English can be interesting. We Brits often name something according to what it does, Americans often name it for what it is. It is a vacuum tube, but what it does is act as a thermionic valve. 
    As I said, "little glass thingies with bits of metal sticking out from them that (usually) get hot and glow when plugged in" - which is much clearer ....and works both sides of the pond!D
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom