Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

WiFi Dishwasher.....why!?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1305
     I'm happy with my NFC marigold gloves and Bluetooth fairy liquid thankyou.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadi said:
     I'm happy with my NFC marigold gloves and Bluetooth fairy liquid thankyou.
    My sister's dishwasher broke down a few months ago and she said she didn't know what 'the best way to source a replacement' was.

I told her my ex-wife had done it via on-line dating....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    edited December 2016
    IoT isn't for consumers benefit, it's for companies' benefit - they want your data in order to commoditise it.

What on earth could be useful about dishwasher data? On its own, not much, but triangulated with other data it builds up a picture of your lifestyle, spending habits, entertaining habits and dining habits, all of which can be traded with affiliated companies in order to target advertising and marketing.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    Does it have a smart facility where it can turn itself on during a period of cheap electricity, and pause if needed if there is an unexpected peak?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11319
    I'm not sure I'd want my domestic appliances communicating with each other behind my back.

I don't want my dishwasher to analyse my plates to determine the nutritional content of my meal and tell my fridge not to let me get at the beer if I've not had my greens.

Nor would I want the vacuum cleaner to tell tales if I've not used it for a few days.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • British Gas recently "kindly" gave us a set of Hive light bulbs and tbh I'm struggling to see the point. You've got to remember to leave your light switches on to be able to control the bulbs from your phone. 

What's the point?

It's far more convenient to flip the switches than reach for a phone.

Solutions looking for problems?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The only kitchen appliance where WiFi would be useful is a WiFi oven with a temperature probe. 
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Wifi dishwashers? Easy, it's to make you turn a blind eye to the prison riots, lack of staff and record numbers of immigrants in prison, deflated wages, that haven't changed since 1996 whilst house priced have rocketed, record immigration, elitist leftist twats who want you indoctrinated but not in their back yard, masses of homeless on the streets, the propaganda on tv and to make you feel justified and closer to god and a little bit  more special than the rest in your insular life than the rest when you look in mirror in denial that the rest is really you in the mirror because were pack animals that have been divided and conquered on our way to the slaughterhouse floor.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    edited December 2016
    Wifi dishwashers? Easy, it's to make you turn a blind eye to the prison riots, lack of staff and record numbers of immigrants in prison, deflated wages, that haven't changed since 1996 whilst house priced have rocketed, record immigration, elitist leftist twats who want you indoctrinated but not in their back yard, masses of homeless on the streets, the propaganda on tv and to make you feel justified and closer to god and a little bit  more special than the rest in your insular life than the rest when you look in mirror in denial that the rest is really you in the mirror because were pack animals that have been divided and conquered on our wbay to the slaughterhouse floor.

Zap em with your siren man zap em with your siren.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9697
    A bit of googling shows that I can now buy...

Oral B Pro500 Bluetooth enabled toothbrush 
    Nespresso Prodigio WiFi coffee maker
    Any number of WiFi ovens and fridges
    A pretty decent selection of WiFi kettles
    A couple of Bluetooth toasters

As far as I can none of these are manufactured by The Skynet Corporation - or so THEY would have you believe...

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    I know a bloke who controls everything with ipads in his luxury country house from his home cinema to the cooker. Thing is there's a load of power wasted on the processors and if the ipads arent charged or have a software update  hes stuffed. Radio control stuff I can understand, anything that needs a phone, tablet or pc you are on a hiding to nothing with. I dont get it personally.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28485
    Sambostar said:

elitist leftist twats who want you indoctrinated but not in their back yard
    I do think it's funny every time you repeat this right-wing authoritarian bullhonky about elite leftists. Hook, line and sinker. They must love you - so easy to control and manipulate.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17648
    tFB Trader
    The reason companies want to internet enable everything is so they can collect data about you. (this isn't paranoia I've been to iot conferences)

As a result they are trying to find reasons why you should want to own a WiFi enabled X . Eventually everything will be WiFi enabled and you won't be able to buy anything else much like with TVs. 
    The reason companies want to internet enable everything is so they can collect data about you. (this isn't paranoia I've been to iot conferences)

You're right. It's data, not information. Lord help the poor sap whose job it is to make something meaningful out of a load of washing machine data.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    scrumhalf said:

You're right. It's data, not information. Lord help the poor sap whose job it is to make something meaningful out of a load of washing machine data.
    There isn't any poor sap putting this into Excel. It's all automated. They're feeding the data into deep learning networks to identify clusters, correlations and anomalies
  • can i create my own dishwashing programmes and then share them with other like minded people. Is there a "kemper" type dishwasher that copies other dishwashers and produces their style. Just think one machine could emulate hundreds of other dishwashers.purists will say they are not the same but i think il be satisfied.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    mellowsun said:
    There isn't any poor sap putting this into Excel. It's all automated. They're feeding the data into deep learning networks to identify clusters, correlations and anomalies
    I'm not being in any way sarcastic, I would love to know the information that could be provided from a washing machine or dishwasher.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7343
    I'd be wary of some cnut from next door hacking my WEP and doing is washing up at my expense...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

We're going to end up with some really weird AIs. Let's hope the singularity is still a ways off.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."