Quick poll Boogie/EVH iii/Engl

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Hard to say with out side by side comparison, but I think the Engl edges out the EVH, for clarity, sure it's a revealing amp to play, but there's nothing that I call 'sediment' to the tone, it's full without cloudiness, thick without mush, I think I'm going to hook up my 11r as an fx only unit and see what I can muster.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I've owned a few Engls, they're great amps but I always find th a bit clinical, they seem to lack a bit of fight back. The powerball I had sounded great in a band context, although it was uninspiring to play through. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @imalrightjack ;
    My brother in law now has the Engl. it's still going strong and sounds great :-)
  • timmysoft said:
    I've owned a few Engls, they're great amps but I always find th a bit clinical, they seem to lack a bit of fight back. The powerball I had sounded great in a band context, although it was uninspiring to play through. 
    Ha ha, fair point, although the last thing I want from a piece of gear is fight back, seriously? Who wants something that's makes it harder to play guitar???!!!
    i struggle enough as it is already!
    timmysoft said:
    Ha ha, fair point, although the last thing I want from a piece of gear is fight back, seriously? Who wants something that's makes it harder to play guitar???!!!
    i like my guitars to fight back, I don't like the whole low action and upper fret access thing, I want to know I'm part of a war with the instrument. It's the same with my amps, I don't want them to sound perfect, I want to have to play better to get the best from it. I never want the guitar to be easy for me, I enjoy the challenge.
  • timmysoft said:
    timmysoft said:
    i like my guitars to fight back, I don't like the whole low action and upper fret access thing, I want to know I'm part of a war with the instrument. It's the same with my amps, I don't want them to sound perfect, I want to have to play better to get the best from it. I never want the guitar to be easy for me, I enjoy the challenge.
    I totally don't get this concept......but I appreciate you do.
    i figure these things are advancements, allowing greater freedom of expression and creativity, but then it would be a dull world indeed if we all thought the same way.
    timmysoft said:
    timmysoft said:
    i figure these things are advancements, allowing greater freedom of expression and creativity, but then it would be a dull world indeed if we all thought the same way.
    I used to love the tighter, more modern amps, Diezels, Engls, H&Ks, that kind of thing, but after years of touring them I just found I was relying too much on "amp" tone, with these more focused amps they tend to take away the subtle differences in guitars(which again can be a desirable thing) but I'm more of a fan of guitars rather than amps.
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 786
    The Engl has great cleans, reasonable crunch & a good saturated lead sound. The switching via the footboard is flawless. Also has the VLS boost. I've had mine 8 years, 4th set of valves and whilst i gas i do wonder what all rounder would beat it for less than a grand. Never a fault in its hundreds of hours of use despite it's flimsy looking interior and tendency to rattle.
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    I'm all about metal.... In recent years I've owned, toured with and recorded using the following: 

Engl Invader 100, Powerball, Savage, Savage SE.  EVH 5150 III, EVH 5150 III 50 Watt. Peavey 5150 II, Randal RM100, Mesa Tri Rec, Marshall JVM, JCM 900 SLX, Krank Rev, Rocktron Prophesy.....

I currently use an Engl Ironball & EVH 212 cab.... but I'm not really gigging any more.  My band just write, rehearse and record. If I was still doing gigs I'd probably get another Engl Invader. 

This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysoft said:
    timmysoft said:
    timmysoft said:
    I used to love the tighter, more modern amps, Diezels, Engls, H&Ks, that kind of thing, but after years of touring them I just found I was relying too much on "amp" tone, with these more focused amps they tend to take away the subtle differences in guitars(which again can be a desirable thing) but I'm more of a fan of guitars rather than amps.
    Yeah, I use only one guitar and I have a pretty much identical one as a spare.
    my view is that if you can't get everything from one guitar, you've got the wrong guitar.
    its funny how different everyone is, but that's cool.

• gordiji said:
    The Engl has great cleans, reasonable crunch & a good saturated lead sound. The switching via the footboard is flawless. Also has the VLS boost. I've had mine 8 years, 4th set of valves and whilst i gas i do wonder what all rounder would beat it for less than a grand. Never a fault in its hundreds of hours of use despite it's flimsy looking interior and tendency to rattle.
    How do you find the VLS? It's a great function, but I find its too great a volume jump to be usable, if I could tame it a touch more it would be ideal.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782

gordiji said:
    How do you find the VLS? It's a great function, but I find its too great a volume jump to be usable, if I could tame it a touch more it would be ideal.
    That's what that little black plastic pot at the back of the amp is for ;)
  • Maynehead said:

gordiji said:
    That's what that little black plastic pot at the back of the amp is for ;)
    Lol yeah......but at minimum boost its still FAR too much of a jump.....
  • MattFGBI said:
    I'm all about metal.... In recent years I've owned, toured with and recorded using the following: 

Engl Invader 100, Powerball, Savage, Savage SE.  EVH 5150 III, EVH 5150 III 50 Watt. Peavey 5150 II, Randal RM100, Mesa Tri Rec, Marshall JVM, JCM 900 SLX, Krank Rev, Rocktron Prophesy.....

I currently use an Engl Ironball & EVH 212 cab.... but I'm not really gigging any more.  My band just write, rehearse and record. If I was still doing gigs I'd probably get another Engl Invader. 

Hey have you been at Fender long?
    I have a suspicion that I used to chat yo you on the phone when I worked in MI.
    Stamford Music, about 10 years ago.
    I've been at Fender for about 9 years..... so maybe. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• MattFGBI said:
    I've been at Fender for about 9 years..... so maybe. 
    Yeah, you never worked in the spares dept did you?
    Yeah.  Started there.

contactemea@fender.com 

• MattFGBI said:
    Yeah.  Started there.
    Yeah, you is that man then lol
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So I got this.......
    https://imgur.com/a/clNEm