Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Illegal downloading

What's Hot

Comments

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7341
    I havent really 'downloaded' anything for a long time, stream everything nowadays. I dont think illegal music is anywhere near the issue it was back in the early noughties. Although movies are probably still getting hit quite hard at the moment.

Film makers need to move with the times and just realise people want to watch everything at home thesedays as soon as it comes out. The days of going to the cinema are coming to an end. Its not skipping the payment that people want, I think most are happy to pay, its the convenience of watching at home that people want.
    Every time I go to the cinema I end up furious with someone, so I'd happily pay to watch a brand new film at home.

I used to work in a cinema and it was absolutely fucking dreadful. 
    We once had a woman come out crying to security because she'd taken her kids in to see a film and a guy started getting a hand job from his girlfriend right next to them.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7427
    re Music : thanks to first Apple Music and then Spotify I don't "buy" individual albums now - I just access them (either streamed or downloaded to device) via a paid account. Like @Sporky I now spend less and hear more.

With films and TV I had a period of about a year a few years ago where I downloaded torrents of movies and occasional TV shows, but having a Sky, Netflix and Amazon sub means that pretty much everything comes my way conveniently at some point and I'm happy to pay.

I have to say I think the music streaming services have their prices set too low - I'd probably pay more. If I was less lazy I'd work out a way to reimburse my favourite artists in other ways too, but I *am* this lazy, so...
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28354
    DefaultM said:

We once had a woman come out crying to security because she'd taken her kids in to see a film and a guy started getting a hand job from his girlfriend right next to them.
    What sort of parent takes their kids to see that?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    DefaultM said:

What sort of parent takes their kids to see that?
    Next time she goes to the cinema to give a bloke a handjob she should leave the kids at home

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    I tend to get legal promos to download and then the illegal ones are either records I have on vinyl and don't want to pat twice for to have in my ipod or else raeburn and obscure albums that are long out of print where I don't have a grand spare. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10414
    Used to just be kissing in the back row
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    I stopped downloads when I had a job and an affair with audiophile grade car audio.. 

I could hear the difference between a legal paid for download and cd. Cd won. 

Torrent downloads often came in way lower quality.. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • The trouble is these days if you have a fast broadband connection downloading a movie is much faster than ripping a disk yourself. I buy alot of Blurays, ripping even on a fast computer takes an age.
    I have my own "online" Movie collection via Plex so ripping is essencial.

• skunkwerx said:
    I stopped downloads when I had a job and an affair with audiophile grade car audio.. 

Interesting.

i have my whole music collection as MP3 and M4A and I can't hear a difference, but my 50 year old ears dedinitely aren't as good as they used to me, I've lost some top end and bottom end. I converted all my CD collection and sold them.

I would be gutted if I changed my setup and started to hear a noticeable difference!

one thing I have noticed over the years is that new torrents are much higher quality than they used to be, often FLAC lossless.

• I thought illegal down loading was, in the recent past, for teenagers who had no money and who liked the idea of doing something against the law. 
    They have youtube, spotify and 4g now so can stream in real time. so i could well believe that illegal downloading is falling.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The goal is clearly to try to get everyone signed up to streaming services. Better £9.99/month than £0. I really believe physical media will be a thing of the past within 10 years, as broadband speeds and computer storage increase and get cheaper.

I still buy CDs, though we have Netflix/Prime for films/box sets. I buy all my software too.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I buy cds, about 2 a week. and still buy bluray on top of our Netflix subscription. once phone signals become reliable enouh to stream when driving I'll  probably stop buying audio  cds.
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Netflix and Spotify(free) have me covered, if I like the album I buy it outright to put on the iPod.

• I buy cds, about 2 a week. and still buy bluray on top of our Netflix subscription. once phone signals become reliable enouh to stream when driving I'll  probably stop buying audio  cds.
    Crikey, do you live in a black hole?

I can stream Spotify without any issues and I'm on Vodafone FFS!
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    skunkwerx said:

Interesting.

i have my whole music collection as MP3 and M4A and I can't hear a difference, but my 50 year old ears dedinitely aren't as good as they used to me, I've lost some top end and bottom end. I converted all my CD collection and sold them.

I would be gutted if I changed my setup and started to hear a noticeable difference!

one thing I have noticed over the years is that new torrents are much higher quality than they used to be, often FLAC lossless.

To be honest it was more that I started hearing things in the music that I never heard before, every little detail. Things I didnt hear when listening to a cd through my home stereo or laptop.

I'm certain I even noticed a drop in audio quality when playing songs from my phone over bluetooth. A wired connection just seemed to sound better. How much of this was a placebo though...

Then again it was all more pronounced anyway having seperate tweeters, mid range and sub bass all angled to fire at the best angles with 3 amps a whole lot of eq! 

Twas a short lived time, and the car and all the gear have long since been sold to fund real life :( 

no doubt torrents are better quality now, the ones I was using would be about 10 years old or there abouts now I imagine. Limewire and bearshare haha. 

Nowadays my music collection is largely itunes downloads, played on an hp laptop that has that bang n olufsen play eq built in.. which just makes my external speakers crackle.. then again theyre a cheap ish set of edifier speakers too! 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    now that The Walking dead is shown over here the day after USA transmission I don't have to bother with torrents anymore and I use Spotify for music . 
    Crikey, do you live in a black hole?

I can stream Spotify without any issues and I'm on Vodafone FFS!
    Rural oxfordshire, so yes a black hole. 4g coverage is shit outside of cities.
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    I just stopped downloading films as they are harder and harder to get :( Since Kickass closed I'd been using ComeIn for various sites, but that's not working now :(
    #thebatesmotelband
  • BGG said:
    I just stopped downloading films as they are harder and harder to get :( Since Kickass closed I'd been using ComeIn for various sites, but that's not working now :(
    Kickass isn't closed if you know where to look for it

• paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    DefaultM said:
    I havent really 'downloaded' anything for a long time, stream everything nowadays. I dont think illegal music is anywhere near the issue it was back in the early noughties. Although movies are probably still getting hit quite hard at the moment.

Film makers need to move with the times and just realise people want to watch everything at home thesedays as soon as it comes out. The days of going to the cinema are coming to an end. Its not skipping the payment that people want, I think most are happy to pay, its the convenience of watching at home that people want.
    Every time I go to the cinema I end up furious with someone, so I'd happily pay to watch a brand new film at home.

I used to work in a cinema and it was absolutely fucking dreadful. 

I hate cinemas too, once I went there with a new girlfriend and I ended up siting next to a blubbery woman who'd brought her annoying kids too.......almost put us off!!!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom