Tremol-No

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Good call, I guess having the trem you can block off then if desired go to floating trem. I would have a trem just to use to put a shimmer on chords and I like drepressing the Bar into notes. I don't like the worry of breaking a strings or bending union notes and going flat. Can I still deck the bridge but get a bit flexibility to shimmer chords? Depress into notes? Break a string and it doesn't matter stays in tune? Bend notes in unison without the other going flat. Is that possible? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72354
    I'd agree that the Floyd is a major hassle to set up and a minor hassle to restring, but apart from that it isn't - once set up correctly and locked tightly it really does stay that way, and it's without doubt the most tuning-stable of any system, including most hardtails.

I'll admit to never having gigged with one, or owned more than one guitar with one on, because I was paranoid about breaking a string - this was in the days before trem-blocking devices other than the Tremsetter, and back then I hadn't figured out how to make the Tremsetter work properly.

I also don't like the 'warble' on most Floyds, although they do seem to vary - I recently tried an Ibanez Floral JEM that seemed to warble much less than normal, I don't know why! And it couldn't have been binding because it stayed in tune perfectly.

Overall I prefer the feel and sound of a fully-floating 6-screws bridge though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    I love Floyd's..... but never use them as a trem.  I just like the height off the body compared to a traditional bridge. 

I prefer them not to be back routed because I lift up the height screws and angle the plate back to sit on the body.  Then just shove a bit of wood up to back (ooh er) to stop it moving. Usually the neck needs a bit of a shim to make the angles work. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com