Anyone got a Virgin Samsung TIVO box ?

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24341
How the hell do you control the audio output level on this thing ?  It's blasting out at such a high level that it's distorting the audio with the TV set on less than 10 (out of 100).  I've been through all the menus and can't find anything.  HDMI connection to the telly.

Anyone ?
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
I'm personally responsible for all global warming
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7788

what does it look like ?

I've got one like this

Image result for virgin media tivo box samsung

though mine is branded Cisco, not Samsung.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7788
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24341
    Thanks mate.  Bloody annoying that is.  It can only be the cheap TV then...  It sounds exactly like the input is being overloaded with a monster signal.  Thanks anyway.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    God-awful boxes.
    Had one forced on me when I changed my package to cancel a second box - I wanted to keep the older standard HD+ box but Virgin said that would increase my package price.
    Box is laggy, menu is slow and picture quality is much worse than the old box. Hate it.
    Haven't noticed any audio issues though, which is something I suppose.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • At least Virgin didn't charge for a free trial for 6 months after you cancelled it. Still trying to get our money back.
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    No but for 9 months they charged me for phone calls on the second line that is supposed to have free calls. Got the money sorted out but haven't been able to cancel the other line as they can't work out which is which from their side so may accidentally disconnect the business line!
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Its virgins routers I had issues with. Bloody superhub 2 and xbox one... completely incompatible over wifi when playing certain games online. Kept getting disconnected. 

The only way to solve it turned out to be using a wired connection.. 
    couldnt run an ethernet from downstairs to up for practical and family reasons.. 

So in the end had to buy a set of powerlines to overcome it. 

Virgin blames microsoft, microsoft blames virgin. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    Emp_Fab said:
    How the hell do you control the audio output level on this thing ?  It's blasting out at such a high level that it's distorting the audio with the TV set on less than 10 (out of 100).  I've been through all the menus and can't find anything.  HDMI connection to the telly.

Anyone ?
    I've got a Samsung Tivo box and have had no problems at all with output level causing TV distortion. That's using it currently with a Panasonic Viera TV and previously with a Sharp TV. As has been said, there is no meaningful control over the Tivo's output level but I suspect the problem here might be with the gain of the TV. If not already done, have a look at the Audio section of the TV's setup menu. There may well be some sort of gain control or volume limiter that can be adjusted to suit the level of input signal. It might be an on/off automatic gain control or a manually adjustable level depending on the TV.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    We've got the same TiVo box hooked up to a Toshiba tv. No problems with loud sound levels. The only thing I notice is the HD channels are noticeably quieter than the non HD equivalents. 
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    boogieman said:
    We've got the same TiVo box hooked up to a Toshiba tv. No problems with loud sound levels. The only thing I notice is the HD channels are noticeably quieter than the non HD equivalents
    Have a look in your TV settings menu. My Panasonic has a control for dealing with channels of differing volume. Your Toshiba might have similar?
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    Jimbro66 said:
    boogieman said:
    We've got the same TiVo box hooked up to a Toshiba tv. No problems with loud sound levels. The only thing I notice is the HD channels are noticeably quieter than the non HD equivalents
    Have a look in your TV settings menu. My Panasonic has a control for dealing with channels of differing volume. Your Toshiba might have similar?
    Hmmm, I'll have a look. Cheers.